In the people the plant is called "cancer necks" for the interesting structure of flowers or house hops. The official names are Beloperone and Justice. Unpretentious plant, blooms year-round. Caring for beloperone at home is simple, there are no specific requirements for conditions of detention.
Interesting features, origin, description
The area of distribution in the wild is subtropics and tropics of America. Often referred to the genus of justice. The number of the genus according to different sources from 30 to 60 species. In literal translation from the Greek language it sounds like the “arrowhead”.
Evergreen semi-shrub or shrub perennial. Stems smooth or pubescent. Leaves lanceolate or elongated ovate, covered with a fluff or without it. Flowers numerous, axillary. Common colors are orange, red, yellow. Less common species with pink and white flowers. The whiteperone flower has an interesting structure resembling colored elongated hop cones.
As a houseplant whiteperone is not different variety. Only a few natural forms are adapted for cultivation in apartments. On their basis, interesting hybrid varieties, distinguished by the colors of flowers and leaves, are derived.
- Beloperone plumbagoliferous (Beloperone plumbaginifolia), or ginnamous leaf. Shrub with upright little branched stems. Leaves lanceolate, without pubescence. The tips are a little pointed. Flowers saturated purple color, form axillary inflorescences.
- Beloperone Drip (Beloperone Guttata), or Justice Brandege (Justicia brandegeeana) The most common type among gardeners. For the origin and high decorativeness is often called the Mexican beauty. Shrub compact, not more than a meter, strongly branched. The leaves are ovate, on the stems are located opposite. Dense spiciform inflorescence wilted. In adult plants, the length of the inflorescence reaches 20 cm. The flowers are surrounded by large bracts of yellow, red or yellow-green color.
- Beloperone variegated (Beloperone Variegata). Plant of semi-shrub type up to 80 cm. Wilted shoots, thin. The leaves are pointed, variegated colors. The variegation of color appears and disappears depending on the lighting. The flowers are white, the bracts are reddish.
Features of care and cultivation
Unpretentious, simple to grow a plant. For a long time, it can do without outside intervention, but it quickly grows and loses its decorative effect without trimming. Full care stimulates year-round abundant flowering.
- Lighting. Loves scattered bright light. Direct sunlight in the morning and evening hours is acceptable. The noon sun leaves burns on the leaves. Due to their large size they are placed on the floor, with supports near the south, south-west, west and east windows. For full bloom in the winter will organize the illumination with fluorescent lamps.
- Temperature. The preferred temperature is 18-20 ° C in the warm spring and summer period. From autumn to spring it is recommended to rearrange the flower in the cool of 12-16 ° C. The warm content of the winter leads to a partial fall of the foliage. Cooling below 12 ° C do not allow!
- Watering. Water plentifully, regularly. The need for regular watering is determined by the condition of the soil. Wait for the top layer to dry. Full drying of the substrate leads to the precipitation of leaves and flowers. Pouring is not recommended.
- Humidity. Looks better in high humidity. Reacts with rapid flowering and color saturation with regular spraying from a small sprayer. Additional measures are desirable for increasing the humidity of the air - using a pallet with wet expanded clay or pebbles, installing special humidifiers.
- Top dressing. Feed year-round. Use mainly complex mineral fertilizers. Adhere to the regime: in spring and summer at intervals of 2 weeks, in autumn and winter - at intervals of 5-6 weeks. When wintering above 18 ° C, the frequency of dressings is increased to 1 time per month.
- Transfer. When necessary - when the roots will be closely in the pot. Young specimens are transplanted more often - 1-2 times a year, depending on the growth rate. It is preferable to use the method of transshipment - the root system is sensitive to damage.
- The soil. The optimal composition of the soil is a mixture of sod and leafy earth with the addition of bone meal, peat and sand.
The uncontrollably spreading whiteperon quickly loses a significant part of the decorative effect, turning into an untidy interweaving of the shoots. The flowering in this case becomes not so plentiful, since the plant spends most of its strength on the formation of green mass. To avoid this, pruning is carried out regularly. Need to clean and withered bracts.
In early spring, all shoots are necessarily shortened by half or even two-thirds. Cut tops can be used as planting material. In general, in the formation of the crown flower grower is limited only by his own imagination. The most common options are:
- Neat "bush." Requires a florist minimum effort. The crown should be maintained symmetrical, in a timely manner removing all the shoots that clearly violate its configuration. You should not get carried away - at a time you can remove no more than a quarter of the green mass.
- Ampelnaya plant. Hang the white peperone, then nature will do everything by itself. To speed up the process, you can bend down young shoots to the ground, fixing them with pieces of wire, bent in the shape of the letter U or studs. So they quickly "crawl" over the edge of the pot. Next, you only need to shorten too long shoots and remove those that have lost their foliage.
- Standard "tree". Remove all lateral branches, exposing the lower 35–40 cm of shoot, which will play the role of the trunk. Tie it to the support. From 4–6 lateral branches, more or less evenly spaced around the trunk, form 2–3 tiers over each other. When the "tree" reaches the desired height, pinch the top. Remove all shoots on the trunk regularly, pinch the side shoots annually or twice a year, removing 3–4 top leaves (for more “bushiness”).
The plant does not have a pronounced rest period, but in order for the flowering to be more abundant, it is better to let it rest, slightly lowering the temperature and reducing watering to once a week.
Feed a flower only if in its state something does not suit you and is also much less frequent than during the period of active vegetation. It depends on the room temperature. If compared with the summer, it practically does not change (18–20ºС), fertilizers are applied once a month. At observance of recommendations about ensuring a flower of an optimum microclimate - time one and a half.