In ancient times, this plant has repeatedly saved lives. It was with his help that they tried to put seriously ill patients on their feet, who had no chance of recovery. No wonder thyme was considered divine grass. What affectionate name was not given to this grass - lemon scent, swan, incense, fly, thyme, chebarka. For the custom of decorating icons with pink inflorescences, it was called Bogorodsky grass. The healing abilities of the plant are used now. Thyme healing properties and contraindications - the topic of the article, intended for all who wish to improve their health.
Thyme description, photo
This shrub is a perennial. It belongs to the family Luminous. About 400 species are known. Half of them grow in the territory of the CIS countries. Types differ in color, shape and shades of leaves. There are compact bushes. Their height usually varies from 15 to 30 centimeters. Other plants have creeping twigs. The length of such shoots is about 5 cm. They form a thick “carpet” covering the ground.
The most common option is common thyme. On its basis, created many hybrids. Compact form forms a low (about 15 centimeters), but a spreading bush. The color of the leaves is light green, and the flowers are white or pale lilac.
Shoots at the base of woody. Fully covered with small leaves. They have a slight downward pubescence. Some varieties have curly branches. These shoots are close to the ground and form additional roots. Flowers make up inflorescences in the shape of a ball. They are placed at the ends of the branches.
It blooms from early summer until autumn, the whole season. Seeds ripen in October. The fruit is a box with several seeds inside. Thyme tastes spicy with a slight bitterness. The aroma resembles a mixture of smells of lemon, anise, cumin.
Where does the grass grow
His homeland is the Mediterranean. As a cultivated plant it is cultivated in the southern part of Europe and America, in the north of Africa. In the temperate zone it prefers steppe areas, and also lives in rocky and stony territories.
The area of growth covers the whole territory of Russia. From the Urals and Siberia to the Caucasus. Distributed in the middle lane. Prefers open terrain. He loves meadows, glades in the forest, forest edges. It grows in the mountains.
Chemical composition of the plant
One of the valuable ingredients of the plant is the active antibiotic carvacrol. This substance can triumph over Staphylococcus aureus. Thyme is rich in essential oil. Its composition includes linalool, timol, karyofillen.
The complex of vitamins of group B, as well as antioxidants - C, E, A, K, PP, beta-carotene. Tsimol, ascaridol, ursolic acid, choline, borneol complement the composition. Present and microlements - selenium, potassium, sodium, iron, calcium.
Therapeutic and beneficial properties of thyme
It has a pronounced antiseptic effect. Applied in the treatment of inflammatory processes. To do this, use a variety of forms of processing medicinal raw materials.
There are types for internal use, as well as appoint inhalation, compresses, grinding, rinsing. The latter are relevant for diseases of the oral cavity - gingivitis, stomatitis. Also used for throat ailments - laryngitis, pharyngitis, tonsillitis. Thyme helps in the fight against acute viral infection.
Exacerbated problems of the upper respiratory tract - will save the expectorant effect of the green healer. Sweating effect will help alleviate the patient's condition at high body temperature.
People suffering from unpleasant sensations with radiculitis and similar diseases, with ailments of the stomach and intestines will appreciate the analgesic effect. Antispasmodic - relieve migraines. Green doctor normalizes the microflora of the stomach, saves in case of problems with the joints.
The effect of sleeping pills will relax and clean up shaky nerves. Tea from thyme tones up, eliminates chronic fatigue, raises immunity.
Know! Thyme helps in the fight against alcoholism. Green doctor protects the liver, removes the decay products of ethyl alcohol. Causes disgust for the use of alcohol.
Thyme benefits for men
Nature has given thyme unique properties to maintain the health of a strong half of humanity. Normalization of pressure, resistance to stress, removal of muscle spasms, stimulation of hair growth and the fight against problems in the intimate sphere - the effect of miracle herbs is truly universal.
With sexual weakness
Erectile dysfunction is a sad diagnosis for any man. But selenium and molybdenum, which are part of the thyme, can cope with this trouble. From early ejaculation will save the drink on the basis of the miracle herbs.
In a thermos pour 0.5 liters of boiling water, pour two tablespoons of chopped raw material, insist for two hours. Drink twice a glass for two weeks. After a break, and then treatment resumes again.
To increase sexual energy in case of problems with potency, thyme oil is rubbed into the crotch area. You can buy the product at the pharmacy or prepare it yourself. To do this, 15 g of grass is poured with olive oil and left for a month. After that, you can use as needed.
When impotence take a large spoonful of pink dried inflorescences, add 250 ml of boiling water, wrap for half an hour. Drink up to six times a day for half an hour before a meal.
With muscle inflammation, the movements become stiff. This disease has a negative effect on sexual function. To stop the development of the disease, it is recommended to do compresses. Steam raw material in boiling water for 30 minutes, squeeze. Wrap the cake in gauze, attach to the sore spot, secure with polyethylene.
With hair loss
With early baldness, you can begin to regularly apply to the scalp a mixture of a teaspoon of vodka and three drops of thyme essential oil. It is better to keep the tool, not washing off, longer. Ursolic acid, which is part of Bogorodskaya grass, stimulates hair growth and strengthens hair follicles.
The healing properties of thyme for women
Bogorodskaya grass helps with pain during menstruation, inflammatory diseases of the appendages. Also, thyme tea is recommended to enhance lactation during breastfeeding. To prepare a drink for a glass of boiling water take one small spoonful of raw materials. In a few minutes the tea is ready.
Attention! In no case can not use thyme during pregnancy. The use provokes an increase in the tone of the uterine smooth musculature.
Actively used in cosmetology for the treatment of acne on the face. A glass of broth add juice, squeezed from half a lemon. This tool must wipe the skin.
Rinsing after shampooing helps avoid dandruff, soothes irritated skin. Such procedures relieve hair from excessive dryness.
You can add aromatic weed as a seasoning to meat and fish dishes. This advice is particularly relevant for those who want to lose weight. Green doctor does not burn fat, but activates the metabolism.
Thyme is useful for children
Rinses will help with angina and stomatitis in babies. Thyme is an active ingredient in cough syrups.
Many of the synthetic drugs have a number of contraindications, as opposed to natural herbal preparations. The calming, antiseptic, disinfecting effect of the herb is used to benefit the younger generation.
For children whose sleep leaves much to be desired, add 10-20 ml of infusion to bathing water. Such procedures will prevent the occurrence of diaper rash in newborns, help with rickets, rheumatism.
Know! Giving funds on the basis of Bogorodsky grass to children is possible only from the age of two.
Healing folk recipes
The anti-inflammatory effect of the green doctor allows you to use its power in the fight against this ailment. Fresh or dried leaves brew and drink as tea twice a day.
It helps to resume the work of the brain in a normal mode after the injury, relieves headaches, strengthens the nervous system, improves sleep. Therapy lasts from six months to a year.
A tablespoon of raw materials is poured with two glasses of water, brought to a boil and immediately removed from the stove. Wrap a decoction bottle in a blanket and leave for an hour. Strain and drink on the third part of the glass three times a day before the meal.
Getting rid of this kind of dependence is associated with a high content of thymol in the grass. In case of overdose, this substance causes vomiting. 15 g of raw material is poured 0.5 liters of boiling water and heated for about 15 minutes in a water bath. After the infusion is poured and again brought to a volume of 500 ml, topping up boiled water. Several times a day, drink 60 g of the potion, drinking it with half a glass of vodka. Nausea or even vomiting appears soon enough. The course of treatment is one to two weeks.
Attention! Some supporters of alcohol begin to disgust for him after only a few sessions.
A simple recipe will be effective:
- eight large spoons of flowers pour a bottle of good vodka,
- keep two weeks in the dark
- drink 35 drops three times a day,
- rub numbed areas with the tool.
100 grams of raw materials grind into powder. Add 500 g of honey. To simmer in a water bath for one hour, stirring. Every evening, eat one teaspoon before bedtime. Keep the product in a cool place.
For bronchitis and asthma, the following remedy will help:
- A large spoon of raw materials is poured with a glass of boiling water and left in a thermos for a couple of hours.
- Drink filter.
- Drink three times a day after meals. Adults take a large spoonful of funds, children - small.
Excellent cope with coughing is possible with the help of another method. To rub the infusion in the chest, and on top to put a piece of paper, thinly greased with goat fat. A few nights - and there was no bronchitis.
From problems with the stomach and intestines
Flowering shoots wash, dry, chop. Put in a jar, sprinkling with layers of sugar. Put on top of the load and put in a dark place. Two weeks later, pour the syrup into a clean container, cork. Drink a small spoonful three times a day with tea.
Tool for general purpose wine:
- 100 g of raw materials pour a liter of white dry
- insist on a week, be sure to shake it daily,
- bring the liquid to a boil, wrap for 5 hours,
- strain the resulting drug
- use twice a day before a meal of 30 ml.
Perfectly eliminates spasms in the gastrointestinal tract, saves from headaches, normalizes sleep. Excellent sedative and immunomodulator. Prolongs life.
The first recipe tincture
30 grams of chopped herbs pour 150 ml of alcohol (vodka). Tara clog and leave for ten days. After fluid drain. Drink 15 drops three times a day after meals, use for compresses, rubbing.
3 large spoons of herbs pour 100 ml of vodka. Leave in the dark for three weeks, strain. Carefully squeeze the cake. Use for rubbing from joint pain and rheumatism.
How to cook broths, infusions
From arthritis, sciatica, paralysis
To 10 grams of dried grass add 200 ml of boiling water. Insist a quarter of an hour. Drink 20 ml three times a day.
For rinsing for ailments of the mouth and throat
Two tablespoons of raw materials brew 200 ml of boiling water. Let stand for an hour. Rinse several times a day.
With cystitis and cholecystitis
A large spoon of thyme pour a glass of very hot water. To sustain 30 minutes, take 50 ml several times a day before a meal.
Thyme oil properties, application
The composition of this amazing product is enriched with tannins, mineral salts, malic and acetic acids, thymol. The latter has anthelmintic properties and is an antiseptic.
The use of oil is justified for skin problems, pains in the head and stomach, joint diseases. Balm promotes healing in tuberculosis, asthma.
Know! The tool has an excellent sedative effect, improves attention and memory.
Essential oil can be used in several ways:
- Rinse solution. In 3 ml of alcohol base add 6 drops of oil, add water. Apply at least five times a day. Do not eat or drink for half an hour after the procedure. Effectively in case of ailments of the respiratory system, flu, runny nose.
- Compress. To 25 g of alcohol pour 7 drops of ether. Moisten tampons, put them on the neck, in the area of the tonsils, cover with plastic wrap. Leave for an hour. Stops inflammatory processes in the throat.
- Inhalation. Inhale steam for at least 15 minutes. Then put on warm socks and lie down under a blanket for 40 minutes.
- Massage. Add 10 drops of ether to the transport oil. It is used in pain syndrome during exacerbations of rheumatism, gout, neuritis, arthritis.
Thyme in cooking
Dry crushed leaves and sometimes fresh shoots are used. Bright taste with spicy bitterness is able to shade any dish.
It has long been used for cooking game. Rub meat and fish with dry powder before baking, add minced meat for making meatballs and sausages.
An ideal spice for very fatty foods, as it promotes good digestion. Add when roasting using lard. Delicious smoked obtained with the help of thyme.
Important! This seasoning can irritate the gastric mucosa. It is not recommended for use to the yazvennik.
These products benefit from the addition of spices. Pleasant aroma and specific bitterness whet your appetite. Many varieties of mushrooms constitute the perfect duet with seasoning.
It is also part of the Provencal Herb multi-component blend. It can be added to Mediterranean vegetable dishes, as well as salads.
All kinds of meat soups, borscht, broths will acquire a unique savory taste due to the addition of fragrant spices.
Also used in other areas of cooking:
- making alcoholic beverages,
- cheese making,
- in baking,
- for canning vegetables, especially olives.
Thyme lemon confectioners are used to make desserts and sweets.
Harm and contraindications
In addition to the useful features of the Bogorodskaya grass with inept use can harm health. Funds based on it are not used during pregnancy, with gastrointestinal ulcer, hepatitis, pyelonephritis, atrial fibrillation.
It is not recommended for patients suffering from atherosclerosis, reduced thyroid function. It is not necessary to uncontrolledly conduct treatment with preparations based on a green doctor. Consultation and supervision of a specialist is required. It is he who selects the individual regimen.
Attention! Tea and decoction take only two weeks. Then follows a mandatory break for two months.
Collection and storage of thyme
Harvest better in early June during flowering. The collection is carried out in the early morning. Inflorescences and leaves have healing properties. Shoots cut with a knife. In no case should not they pull out of the ground with its roots.
Rinse is not required, the branches immediately cut. They are laid out in a thin layer (no more than 7 cm) on paper and dried in the shade. In the process it is necessary to mix the grass often. Then fold into a fabric bag or paper bag.
Store in a dry place. It should be well ventilated. The maximum shelf life is two years.
- This wonderful grass perfectly copes with cough. Constantly keep in the first-aid kit box at the ready. It helps me and my son.
- Tormented radiculitis. Used the recipe for rubbing. The pain is gone. Now we will raise the husband on his feet.
- Stunning, very tasty tea from Bogorodskaya grass. Drink his pleasure. It also helps us with a cold. We are treated with the whole family.
- A familiar doctor advised a tea-drink based on thyme to drink a bit of honey with honey during an attack of gastritis. Now I do. It gets easier.
- Infusion I wash my throat when it hurts. This broth can be stored for two days. It is very important to shake it before each use. In winter, add a pinch of thyme to ordinary tea. Stunning aroma floats around the apartment. Yes, and became sick less.
- There were problems in intimate life. Thyme really bailed out. He himself would not try, but he advised an old grandfather - a village herbalist. It is good that I listened in time and started the treatment.
- I have a special relationship with this wonderful plant. When the children were small - bathed them in the bath with the addition of thyme. It helps to avoid pottery. Only at first she wrapped the child in the diaper, and then she was immersed in water. And now we have grown up and we cure this remedy.
- I tried to take thyme, but could not even begin a course of treatment properly - an allergic reaction appeared. Everything is very individual after all.
Bogorodskaya Herb is the best friend of not only a culinary specialist, a herbalist, but also a cosmetologist. The unique composition allows the use of the plant in various areas of life. And everywhere the green doctor is beneficial. However, it is useful to remember not only the medicinal properties of thyme, but also contraindications to its use.
Chemical composition of thyme:
- cymol — эфирное масло с ароматным запахом, которое используют в парфюмерии и кулинарии (содержится в тмине, кориандре, анисе, эвкалипте и др.),
- аскаридол - A popular component of anthelmintic drugs, used in natural medicine for meteorism, intestinal parasites, for the treatment of asthma, malaria, nervous disorders and arthritis. The amount of ascaridol in the composition of herbs is optimal and can not lead to an overdose,
- terpineol - natural alcohol with a lilac aroma. It is a component of food flavorings concentrates, has an antimicrobial effect,
- borneol - natural alcohol with the smell of needles, which turns into camphor during oxidation. Reduces blood pressure, is used in perfumery and aromatherapy, improves microcirculation of blood and pulmonary alveolar ventilation,
- gum - vegetable carbohydrate, used in cooking as a thickener. It is used in medicine in the form of mucus, which reduces irritation of the intestines and stomach from medications,
- ursolic acid - used in the composition of cosmetics as an anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial component. As well as oleanolic acid, also part of thyme, is used in the treatment and prevention of melanoma in several countries. Stimulates hair growth through the activation of hair follicles, protects against dandruff, has a proven antitumor property,
- thymol - phenol with antiparasitic action, oral antiseptic, natural preservative. All these ingredients are present in thyme essential oil.
- Calcium 1890 mg
- Magnesium 220 mg
- Sodium 55 mg
- Potassium 814 mg
- Phosphorus 201 mg
Trace elements in thyme:
- Iron 123.6 mg
- Zinc 6.18 mg
- Copper 860 mcg
- Manganese 7,867 mg
Vitamins in thyme:
- Beta carotene 2,264 mg
- Vitamin A (RE) 190 mcg
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine) 0.513 mg
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) 0.399 mg
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) 0.55 mg
- Vitamin B9 (folic) 274 mcg
- Vitamin C50 mg
- Vitamin E (TE) 7.48 mg
- Vitamin K (phylloquinone) 1714.5 mcg
- Vitamin PP (Niacin equivalent) 4.94 mg
- Choline 43.6 mg
I will tell you about the use of thyme in medicine in the next article, but how to grow it in a pot on a window sill, read the article Growing thyme at home.
Botanical characteristic of creeping thyme
Creeping thyme is a perennial shrub from the family Labiotus (Lamiaceae). It reaches a height of 20–40 cm and ends with recumbent shoots. Stems with flowers - erect or ascending, covered with hairs. The leaves are oblong-elliptical with short petioles dotted with glands with essential oil. Inflorescences capitate, compact. Calyx narrow neck, hairy. The corolla is mauve, two-lipped. The lower lip of the flower is longer than the tube, the lower lip is broadly ovate, notched.
Thyme blooms from May to late August; fruits ripen from July to September. Fruits are small ellipsoidal nuts, up to 6 mm long. Propagated by seed and vegetatively. It can be found on the slopes and on the sides of the roads, on the edges and forest sunny glades, among stone placers and on the rocks. Plant habitat is the middle zone of the European part of Russia, partly the Urals, Siberia, and Kazakhstan.
Useful properties of thyme
For medicinal purposes, use the above-ground part of the plant, the time of collection and preparation of grass - June-July. Thyme leaves and stalks contain many active substances - essential oil, resins, tannins, flavonoids, bitterness, mineral salts. They also contain a variety of acids: ursolic, caffeic, quinic, timunovaya, oleonolovy, chlorogenic. Due to this chemical composition, the plant has a wide spectrum of action. It is prescribed as an antipyretic, diuretic, anticonvulsant and sedative.
Creeping thyme is one of the best honey plants. It makes a very fragrant honey. Previously, the dry parts of the plant were used in a mixture with other herbs for burning during worship services. Today, raw materials from the aerial parts of the plant are in demand in the perfume industry.
In traditional medicine, creeping thyme has been widely recognized and used. It is prescribed for neuralgia and neurosis of various etiologies. With it, successfully treat diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, atony, intestinal spasms, flatulence. With regular intake of drugs from thyme in patients with normal digestion, stomach pain disappears, the formation of gases decreases, and the intestinal microflora normalizes due to the disinfectant properties of the herb.
Infusions and decoctions of plants effectively act with bronchitis, laryngitis, sore throat, tracheitis, bronchopneumonia due to its enveloping, expectorant and antiseptic properties. They are able to enhance the secretion of bronchial glands and thin the sputum. Infusions and decoctions prescribed in the form of rinses for inflammatory diseases of the oral cavity caused by pyogenic bacteria. In the form of ointments, lotions and compresses thyme is used for pain in the joints, rheumatism and various skin diseases.
The plant is successfully used for inflammation of the vagina and belyah, especially in older women. Effective thyme in inflammatory processes, exacerbated by pathogenic microflora, insensitive to antibiotics. Thyme preparations have an antimicrobial effect even with negligible phenolic compounds. Also, the plant is good for insomnia. It is believed that if you sleep on a pillow from this grass, then it relieves arousal and relieves headaches.
Thyme teas are very popular. When coughing, they are consumed with honey, with diseases of the stomach and intestines - without sugar.
Recipe number 1. One or two teaspoons of dry crushed herbs pour 250 ml of boiling water, allow to infuse and filter. Drink 3 cups of tea a day.
Thyme is used as a seasoning to improve digestion.
Recipe number 2. It is necessary to mix 5 g of thyme, 2 g of rosemary, 1 g of wormwood and 12 g of salt. Herbs are used in powder form. It is recommended to use the mixture for salads, main dishes.
Thyme is used in such a well-known cough medicine as Pertussin.
Recipe number 3. You will need thyme extract - 12 parts, 80% alcohol - 5 parts, sugar syrup - 82 parts, potassium bromide - 1 part. When all the ingredients are mixed, a dark brown aromatic liquid with a sweet taste is obtained. It is used as an expectorant and sputum diluting drug for bronchitis, whooping cough and other diseases of the upper respiratory tract. The tool is available in bottles of 100 ml. Adults are advised to take 1 tablespoon 3 times a day, and children take half a teaspoon, also 3 times a day.
Decoction of thyme helps with boils, diabetes, allergies.
Recipe No. 1. Two tablespoons of crushed dry grass is poured with a glass of boiled water, boiled for 1-2 minutes and infused for one hour in a warm place. Broth filter and take 100 ml 3 times a day after meals.
A decoction of wormwood and thyme - an excellent tool for the treatment of alcoholism.
Recipe number 2. Mix 4 parts of thyme and 1 part wormwood. A tablespoon of the collection pour 250 ml of water, boil in a water bath for 5 minutes, draw and filter. Take 1 tablespoon daily 3 times a day. The course of treatment is 2-3 months. Most often, after two weeks of taking a decoction, patients appear indifferent to alcohol.
For colds and bronchitis, they also prepare a decoction.
Recipe No. 3. A tablespoon of herbs is filled with 0.5 liters of boiling water, boiled for 5–7 minutes on a steam bath and infused for 10–15 minutes. After straining, the broth is taken warmly 4–5 times a day, 1/3 cup. It can be drunk half an hour before meals or 1.5–2 hours after it.
For anemia, diabetes, or inflammation, thyme extract is prepared along with blueberry sprouts.
Recipe number 1. Bilberry shoots and thyme herb are mixed in equal proportions, after which 1 tablespoon of the mixture is poured 250 ml of boiling water and infused for half an hour. Ready infusion after straining is divided into 2 portions and drink them during the day after meals.
For hair loss, dandruff or headache, use thyme extract to rinse the head and allow the hair to dry naturally.
Recipe number 2. 1/3 cup of dry grass is poured with a liter of boiling water and infused for one hour. Infusion is used in the form of heat after straining.
Thyme is effective for colds and coughs, for which an infusion is made from it.
Recipe number 3. A teaspoon of grass is poured with a glass of boiling water and infused for 10 minutes. After filtering, the patient drinks 1 glass of drink 3 times a day, sweetening the drink with honey.
Tincture of the plant is applied externally for rheumatism and pain in the joints.
Recipe 1. In 100 ml of vodka, pour 3 tablespoons of dry grass and infuse for three weeks in a dark place. After this, the tincture is filtered through several layers of gauze and used for grinding.
Tincture of melissa medicinal and creeping thyme is used as a febrifuge and diaphoretic.
Recipe 2. 1 tablespoon of lemon balm and thyme pour 200 ml of vodka and insist for 8–9 days in a dark place. A bottle or tin of tincture is periodically shaken. After straining, the drug is ingested 3 times a day at the rate of 25–30 drops of tincture per half glass of water or used externally for rubbing.
In cosmetology, thyme oil is used in the manufacture of shampoos, balsams and other cosmetics for hair loss. It strengthens well weakened and damaged hair after chemical perm and dyeing, restores exfoliating nails. In the form of hot compresses, it helps with rheumatic pains. Fresh grass can be applied to insect bites.
Thyme oil prevents the development of putrefactive processes in meat. If it is added to meat broth, it can inhibit the growth of bacteria for three days. Oil stimulates digestion and is especially useful in case of atony of the stomach or intestines. It helps to strengthen the body after the disease.
But when using oil it must be diluted, as it is possible to get burns. Even when taking a bath oil must first be dissolved.
Thyme oil ointment: 3 g of oil and 5 g of any neutral cream must be mixed well. It is recommended to use the remedy for dermatitis, eczema, purulent skin lesions, and pediculosis.
Thyme seeds are sensitive to light, so they are sown, not really powdered with earth. Shoots appear 10–20 days after the air temperature reaches +20 ° C and higher. In the first year, the plant produces only green twigs, very small and requiring regular weeding. In the second year, it will bloom, but it is still too early to collect grass. At the same time, you need to sprinkle some of the shoots with earth for their rooting, which will improve the nutrition and growth of the bush.
Another way of growing thyme is grafting, it is used much more often. To do this, after flowering shoots are cut with sharp scissors. The lower part of the shoot is completely cleared of leaves, and the stalk is planted in a pre-watered hole. Watering is done every other day until new leaves appear. As the shoots grow, they are pinned and sprinkled with earth on top. When the roots grow, the plant can be transplanted to another place if necessary.
Due to the fact that thyme has a superficial root system, the soil is treated shallowly. However, the landing site must be cleared of weeds. It should also be noted that the plant prefers slightly alkaline and neutral soils, it loves sunny places. If you move it into the shade, it will not only grow poorly, but its flavor will not be as strong as in plants growing in well-lit places.
Thyme Essential Oil
A flowering plant contains up to 2% of essential oils in the form of a thick, dark, viscous liquid with a strong odor and taste. After double distillation, all harmful substances disappear from the resulting oil and only useful elements remain, such as cymine, camphene, linalol, thymol, carvacrol, and others. For example, carvacrol is used as an antibacterial substance in traditional medicine in the manufacture of synthetic drugs. Timol has antihelminthic and antiseptic properties.
Thyme oil is used in the manufacture of toothpaste, so that it has a greater healing effect. Oil is prescribed for inflammation of the mucous membranes of the mouth and gums. It contributes to the development of white blood cells in the body, due to which the body is able to more effectively resist infections. This is especially necessary for people recovering from an illness.
Oil stimulates the brain, relieves fatigue, drowsiness, restores appetite, improves memory. If you need to cheer up - will help thyme, if you need to relax - too. Previously, surgeons added thyme when washing hands before surgery, because it is the best antiseptic that was used commonly. Providing an antiseptic effect on the intestines, the oil is good for intestinal infections.
Seeds quickly lose their flavor, so it is advisable to add them to food just before eating. Thyme seeds - small oval nuts grayish-red or brown. The weight of 1000 seeds is approximately 0.2–0.5 g. One of the methods for thyme reproduction is planting seeds. Since the seeds are very small and photosensitive, they should be sown no deeper than 1 cm. They can be sown in winter, under snow, and in spring, in open soil. For better growth, seeds are poured abundantly with water.
The first shoots appear after 2–3 weeks and first grow very slowly. It is necessary to dig up the soil, to feed with fertilizers, to clear from weeds. Harvested from the second year in the largest period of flowering, in dry weather. Seed propagation is an easy and inexpensive way to decorate a garden with beautiful and useful types of fragrant honey-bearing thyme.
With the addition of fresh thyme leaves, therapeutic ointments are used for wound healing and insect bites. If fresh thyme sprigs hang in the closet, then it will scare away the mole. Also, fresh leaves can be mixed with Althea and used in the treatment of diseases of the nervous system, rheumatism, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
Fresh thyme extract is prepared for homeopathic preparations, it is used for pickling cucumbers, tomatoes, and squash. Fresh sprigs can add a savory flavor to a sauce, soup, or second dish; they are served with peas and beans. This spice is indispensable when cooking game and fish dishes.
Extract is an extract of active substances from the composition of the plant. The main components of thyme extract are thymol and essential oil. They help relieve coughing and expectoration, relieve spasms and disinfect the airways. The extract is part of the drug "Pertussin", with a pleasant taste and contributing to the speedy recovery of patients with bronchitis, whooping cough. Use the hood from the plant in dentistry as an anesthetic and disinfectant.
Not only here, but in many countries of the world, thyme extract is used for medicinal purposes.
It is a small shrub with a height of 10 to 50 cm, its stem is tetrahedral, strongly branched. The small leaves of an ovate form (4–10 cm long) are covered on both sides with glands, slightly pubescent below, glabrous above. The flowers are small, tender pinkish color, sometimes white. Fruit - four nuts red or brown. The plant has a strong fragrant aroma. It blooms in June-July, bears fruit in August-September. In the wild in Russia, thyme is not growing.
Grow it for the sake of essential oil in Ukraine, Moldova, in the North Caucasus. The homeland of thyme is the Mediterranean. Thyme herb used in medicine. Thyme is harvested during its flowering - in July, sometimes the second time - in September-October. Dry the grass in the air, without direct sunlight. Store raw materials in cloth bags in well-ventilated areas for about a year, not more. In the essential oil of thyme ordinary contains such substances as thymol and carvacrol, as well as linalool, borneol.
The plant contains organic acids such as triterpenic, ursolic, caffeic, chlorogenic, and tannins and flavonoids. Thyme is successfully used in the treatment of upper respiratory tract. It promotes expectoration and reduces spasms, enveloping the mucous membrane. For inflammation of the oral cavity, rinses are prescribed, for skin diseases, baths and lotions. Common thyme has a delicate lemon flavor, as a seasoning it is used in cooking and canning.
Lemon thyme is a subspecies of common thyme. Its only blooming leaves are yellow, later they become light green in color. The plant has a pronounced lemon flavor, it is used as a seasoning in many countries around the world. In fresh or dried form, thyme is added to dishes of beans and peas, in French cuisine it is one of the main aromatic herbs. Small leaves are well suited to desserts and seafood. До созревания плодов надземная часть растения используется для приготовления напитков, уксуса, коктейлей, чая.
Тимьян лимонный – садовая форма растения. Оно любит солнце, рыхлую почву, может обходиться без удобрений. Лучше высаживать данный вид в песчаном субстрате и по весне обрезать, чтобы растение не разрасталось. При благоприятном климате оно легко и быстро разрастается по саду, размножается черенками. В диком виде лимонный тимьян произрастает в Испании.
The plant has antiviral, sedative and anti-inflammatory properties. It promotes the healing of wounds and abscesses, helps with psoriasis and eczema. In cosmetology, it is recommended for acne.
This vulnerable species is listed in the Red Book of Russia. It grows in the middle reaches of the Volga, in Bashkiria, in the Trans-Volga region. Flowering plants near the city of Astrakhan stopped.
Thyme bug - green shrub, reaching a height of 5-12cm. Its stem is straight, the shoots are vertical, the leaves are ovate, dense, located along the entire length of the stem. Flowers are collected in a bunch at the top of the stem, have a delicate pinkish tint. This type is propagated by seeds and vegetatively. This grass grows on stony soil, blooms from June to August.
The collection of this plant is prohibited, although it has healing properties and refers to honey plants.
Fresh thyme is used to replace black pepper. Thyme fruits - black-brown nuts with a pleasant steady aroma and bitter taste - ripen in August-September. You can also combine black allspice with thyme. The fruits of black thyme are part of the drugs. Essential oil is made from it. In the old days, thyme was sewn into amulets and worn on the body to scare away evil spirits. Thyme is used as a good immune stimulant.
Contraindications for thyme
Due to the high content of thymol in the plant it is contraindicated in case of renal and heart failure, in case of gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer in the acute stage. It is not recommended for pregnant women, as it can cause uterine contractions due to a tonic effect. Overdose and long-term use of thyme preparations contribute to the development of hyperfunction of the thyroid gland (Graves' disease).
It is forbidden to treat children under two years with any herbal medicine. Self-medication is also contraindicated, nausea and vomiting can be an overdose.
Consume broths and thyme infusion is possible only after consulting a doctor. In cooking, too, do not be zealous with the addition of thyme in food. Essential oil contained in the plant, can cause irritation of the stomach, kidneys, liver. The herb is contraindicated in patients suffering from bronchial asthma, pulmonary emphysema, and hypertension. Take preparations made with the addition of thyme, should be carefully and dosed.
Education: A diploma in medicine and treatment was obtained at the NI Pirogov University (2005 and 2006). Advanced training at the Department of Phytotherapy at the Moscow University of Peoples' Friendship (2008).
The short grassy shrub has creeping or straight stems that can reach a length of up to 30 cm. The leaves are round, and can be elongated. The inflorescences have a spherical shape, a pinkish-lilac color and an amazing spicy scent. The flowering period depends on the region in which the plant grows, and will fall in June-August. The fruit is small, it ripens in July-September and is an ellipsoidal nutlet about 0.6 mm long.
Collecting and harvesting
Medicinal value is the grass of thyme - the aerial part, which is completely cut off during the flowering period (preferably in the morning) and dried in a dark room, ensuring air circulation, spreading out a thin layer on paper. Periodically, the raw material is turned.
Store in cardboard boxes in a dry place. Shelf life - 2 years.
The rich chemical composition determines the beneficial properties of the plant. The elevated part contains:
- Essential oil, in which there is a large amount of thymol and carvacrol, as well as pinene and terpinen,
- Organic acids - oleanolic, ursolic, thymic, triterpenic, quinic, caffeic,
- Vitamins C, group B,
- Mineral salts,
Essential oil is a colorless or yellowish liquid with a strong odor. The oil yield from the fresh plant is 0.1–0.5%, and from the dry raw material, 0.8–1.2%. All the beneficial properties of thyme has and essential oil from the plant.
Treated properties and scope
The healing properties of thyme are multifaceted. Even the great Theophrastus and Avicenna considered the plant Divine Grass, which helps not only in the treatment of diseases, but also allows you to prolong life.
What are the properties of this fragrant plant?
- A powerful antiseptic effect allows you to use it in the treatment of inflammatory processes of various localization in the form of drugs for internal administration, inhalation, rinse with: sore throat, stomatitis, gingivitis, tonsillitis, laryngitis, pharyngitis, ARVI, halitosis, inflammation of the uterus. The decoction is used for washing wounds, including, purulent, ulcers, for lotions on eels and boils,
- Expectorant and bronchodilatory actions are effective in treating prolonged bronchitis and cough, as well as whooping cough,
- It has a diaphoretic effect, therefore it is useful when the temperature increases, accompanying inflammatory diseases,
- Painkillers help to relieve pain in radiculitis, sciatica, neuritis, bruises, injuries, gastrointestinal colic, gastritis, flatulence and constipation. Thyme for women is recommended for painful periods,
- Antispasmodic action allows the use of thyme from pressure, migraines and with severe, not relieved headaches,
- Normalization of intestinal biocenosis and beneficial effect on the gastrointestinal tract help with dysbacteriosis, fermentation, to improve appetite, intestinal and stomach diseases,
- Effective and in diseases of the joints. It is used externally in the form of lotions, compresses, and baths for articular rheumatism, arthrosis and gout,
- The hypnotic and sedative properties of the plant have a beneficial effect on the state of the nervous system in depression, neurosis, insomnia,
- Thyme for men is used to treat prostatitis and impotence,
- Relieves puffiness and inflammatory reaction with bee stings,
- Folk healers use the thyme plant from alcoholism: it helps to relieve alcohol intoxication, has a hepatoprotective effect, removes ethanol decomposition products. In parallel, it forms a persistent aversion to alcohol, up to its complete intolerance,
- Thyme tea increases efficiency, increases overall tone, copes with chronic fatigue and boosts immunity.
Thyme is used in different dosage forms, each of which has its own indications. All of them are simple to prepare and with proper, regular use help in the treatment of many diseases.
- Thyme tea The most popular dosage form. How to brew thyme: 1 tsp. dry or fresh flowers brew 200 ml of boiling water for 10 minutes, strain through a strainer and drink as usual tea. Honey can be added to the cold tea. Helps in the treatment of bronchopulmonary and ENT diseases, hypertension in the early stages, as well as to strengthen the immune system. This tea is a natural aphrodisiac and helps to increase libido. In the summer, it quenches thirst perfectly, and in the winter it warms after street walks.
- Infusion with neurological problems (insomnia, neurosis). 15 grams of dry crushed raw materials brew 200 ml of boiling water, steaming for half an hour and then strain. Take 2 tbsp. spoon 2 times (in the morning and at lunch) and 2 hours before bedtime drink ¼ cup.
- Infusion in gastritis with low acidity, as well as bronchitis and dry cough. Take 10 grams of dry grass and pour 1 cup boiling water, leave to evaporate for half an hour, filter. Take 1 tbsp. spoon twice or thrice a day (gastritis), 1-2 st.l. up to 4 times a day for respiratory diseases.
- Cough syrup . The drug, similar to the pharmacy, can be obtained at home. Take a small bunch of still flowering plants, thoroughly rinse, chop and allow to dry. Pour about 450 ml of water into chopped raw thyme and put on a slow fire so that the water boils away by half. Cool the broth, then strain, add juice to it, squeezed with 50 grams of garlic (if the syrup is made for children, then garlic is not added) and 300 grams of good honey. Mix the mixture and store it in a refrigerator in a closed jar. Take 1 tsp. at 2 p per day for colds, sputum difficult to separate, ENT pathology. The syrup is stored for a very long time, up to six months.
- Syrup from diseases of the stomach and intestines. Fresh, blooming thyme wash, dry, finely chop and put in a glass jar in layers, sprinkle it with sugar, then press down with a load and leave in the dark for 2 weeks. The resulting syrup is poured into another jar and cover with a lid. Take 1 tsp. 3 times / day with tea.
- Infusion from radiculitis, arthritis, paralysis. Take 10 grams of dry raw material and brew 200 ml of hot water, steam for 15 minutes. Take 20 ml three times a day.
- Infusion to rinse with diseases of the mouth and throat. Take 2 tbsp. dry grass and brew raw materials 200 ml of boiling water, steamed for 1 hour. Rinse infusion 3-4 times a day.
- Baths of muscle and joint rheumatism, neuralgia. Useful for insomnia. Take 200 grams of thyme and pour 2 liters of boiling water, insist a couple of hours. Take a bath for 15 minutes 1 time in 2 days.
- Baths for kids. Thyme is used for bathing restless children who sleep poorly. For baby bath enough 10-20 ml of infusion, made according to the recipe above.
- Alcohol tincture, suitable for rubbing with pain, bruises, colds. Take 30 grams of chopped thyme, put in a glass jar and add 150 ml of alcohol. Remove the container in a dark place and hold for 14 days. Then strain and apply to destination.
- Universal tincture on wine. Take 100 grams of dried raw materials and pour 1 liter of white dry wine. Hold for 1 week, shaking the bottle once a day. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, wrap and infuse for 4-6 hours, drain. Drink 2-3 times a day before eating 30 ml. Tincture very well strengthens health, immunity, increases the duration of life, cures colds, eliminates gastrointestinal spasms, relieves headaches, helps in combating stress and insomnia.
- Means to improve potency. 2 tbsp. dry crushed herb pour 100 ml of boiling water, leave for 2 hours. Strain the resulting product and take 50 ml 2 times / day before meals.
- "Sleep Bag". In chronic insomnia, prolonged stress, a canvas bag is filled with dry thyme grass and placed next to the head.
- Inhalation. Good help for bronchopulmonary diseases with difficult to exude sputum. Per liter of water, take a handful of dry grass, boil and breathe over the steam for 10 minutes, covered with a towel.
- Nourishing oil for dry skin care. 1 tbsp. dry thyme pour into a glass jar, add 100 ml of extra virgin olive oil, infuse for 1 day and steam the composition in a water bath for about 3 hours. The resulting drug strain through cheesecloth and store in the refrigerator. It should be applied daily to the skin in the morning, for 10-15 minutes, rinse with warm water.
Medicinal herbs fees
- Soothing collection recommended for severe, severe depression. In equal quantities, take the dry raw material of the following plants: thyme, hop, chernobylnik, oregano, light blueberry, knotweed, initial letters, mix thoroughly. Then take 15 grams of this mixture and brew 500 ml of boiling water, insist in a warm place for half an hour and strain. Take 50 ml in the morning and half a glass 2 hours before bedtime.
- Collection for the treatment of the initial stages of hypertension. Take 3 parts of thyme, 2 parts of fireweed and oregano and another 1 part of chamomile. To 15 grams of this mixture, add half a liter of boiling water and incubate for 40 minutes, take a fourth of a glass three times a day.
- Collecting from the urticaria. Take 20 grams of ordinary hops, rhizomes with valerian roots, thyme, lemon balm. Add 8 g of the mixture of herbs to 1 cup of hot water and hold for 30 minutes. Drink the amount received during the day.
- Recipe for hair loss. Mix equal quantities of thyme, nettle, birch leaf, hop cones. Take 20 grams of collection and add to 1 liter of water and keep on low heat for a quarter of an hour, insist another half an hour. Use for rinsing the head or rubbing into the hair roots.
Use in medicine and cooking
Thyme has found wide use in medicine - not only in folk but also in official because of its therapeutic universality. So, it helps with bee stings, asthma, and tuberculosis. In some medicines for cough, thyme acts as an active ingredient. It is also effective as a sedative and antiseptic in the treatment of rashes. Often, infusions of thyme treat intestinal diseases like flatulence. Useful grass for men's health. Women, he is also an indispensable assistant.
Thyme has also been used in culinary art. According to its properties, the grass greatly simplifies the digestion of heavy fatty foods, speeding up the metabolism. It can also be used to give a dish of fragrant notes, since thyme, among other things, is a spice widely used by cooks. In cooking, better known as thyme.
In order to become more familiar with the beneficial properties and contraindications of the thyme and its effect on a particular system of the human body, it is necessary to learn about the composition.
Useful qualities of thyme
The plant is widely used in many branches of medicine and cooking.
Thyme is most widely distributed in medicine, as it has a wide range of therapeutic actions:
- high content of magnesium, potassium and iron in the composition (prevention and treatment of diseases of the circulatory system),
- antiseptic effect on wounds and inflammation,
- good pain reliever
- high concentration of antioxidants that prevent the development of oncology,
- tonic effect of brewed thyme leaves during epidemics of colds,
- inhalations with broth or essential oil of thyme help in the treatment of cough,
- suppression of helminthic activity and inflammatory processes in the intestine,
- treatment of skin fungi of different types,
Often, thyme is used as a fragrant spice in the preparation of culinary dishes of different directions:
- gives the dishes a special, savory taste,
- thyme is good when added to snacks, because it irritates the appetite,
- promotes easier digestion of meat, serves as a good additive to it in marinade,
- thyme gives spicy taste to vegetable pickles,
- often used in fish smoked technology as a seasoning.
Due to the healing and drying effect, thyme has found application in cosmetology for skin and hair care. Mostly thyme is suitable for oily skin. The positive cosmetic effect of the plant is multifaceted, since the thyme:
- removes oily hair
- accelerates hair growth
- prevents the appearance of lice,
- eliminates inflammatory elements and age spots on the skin of the face,
- evens out complexion.
The urinary system plays a leading role in the metabolic elimination of decay products from the body. In the kidneys, blood is filtered under pressure, ensuring the purification of blood from waste products of cells. As a result of the work of the system, urine is formed, containing substances unnecessary to the body. The reproductive system is represented by reproductive organs responsible for the reproduction of their own kind.
Therapy for urogenital diseases with thyme is more relevant for men. Thyme has a beneficial effect on the state of the mucous membranes of the organs, disinfecting them. As a result, the urinary system’s immunity to infections and pathogenic microorganisms is increased. This helps in solving many problems of the male genital sphere. Anti-inflammatory properties normalize the work of the entire system, restores potency.
The central nervous system is represented by the brain and spinal cord. The peripheral system consists of nerves, nerve trunks and tubes distributed throughout the body. The system with the help of electric pulses controls the processes in the whole organism, from motor to metabolic and psychoemotional functions.
Thyme tones the nervous system, relieves psychological stress and insomnia. Also, trace elements of thyme are useful in eliminating the manifestations of depression and depression.
Treatment of nervous disorders tea with thyme mint and honey.
In the treatment of nervous disorders shows the use of weakly brewed tea from thyme with the addition of mint and honey.
It will take:
- dried chopped thyme - 1 tsp,
- mint - 1 tsp,
- honey - 1 tsp.
Preparation and use:
Pour dry grass of thyme and mint in a tablespoon into a glass or mug with a volume of 200 - 250 ml. Pour boiling water and insist about 10 minutes. After the herbal tea has cooled to a warm state, put a spoonful of honey in it - stir and drink slowly.
Thyme (thyme): chemical composition and nutritional value
The chemical composition of thyme contains a powerful herbal antibiotic - carvacrol. He is capable of overcoming Staphylococcus aureus. Also in the composition of the plant is an essential oil containing a lot of thymol, linalool, karyofillen.
The plant contains the following elements:
- vitamins A, group B 1-9, C, E, K, PP, beta carotene,
- ursolic acid
- micro- and macronutrients - sodium, potassium, iron, calcium, selenium.
Thyme is useful
Thyme has the following beneficial properties:
- pain killer
- hypnotic. Active substances - resins, essential oil, tannins, mineral salts, flavonoids and bitterness, acids - provide a wide range of action of the herb on the human body.
Creeping thyme is also useful because it is a good plant honey plant. Honey from it is very fragrant. The beneficial properties of thyme appear when brewing in tea - it is considered a natural stimulant used for stress, for the treatment of depression, migraine, neurasthenia. The use of thyme in tea is very useful for children suffering from anemia.
Dry herbs used to be used for worship services. Today, the aboveground part of the plant is very much in demand in the perfume industry.
Pharmacological properties of thymeThyme plant has healing properties due to its chemical composition. Thymol, which is abundant in thyme, refers to phenol derivatives. But thymol has less toxicity and has a milder effect on mucous membranes, is a good bactericidal agent in the fight against coccal flora. Thymol is very active against pathogenic fungi, whipworm, tapeworms.
The healing essential oils contained in the plant are effective for bronchitis and other pulmonary diseases, especially for whooping cough and asthma. They are also useful in infectious intestinal inflammations.
The sudorific properties of creeping thyme make it an effective diaphoretic remedy, which is important for colds, runny nose and flu. The ability to regulate the activity of the nervous system is beneficial to people suffering from insomnia.
Fermentation in the intestine is removed by decoctions and infusions of thyme. Therefore, it is taken when eating fatty, heavy foods, to normalize digestion.
Thyme has beneficial properties in treating arthritis and rheumatism. In this case, it is used externally. Also, thyme is used externally in the form of lotions, compresses and ointments, which are effective for skin diseases.
Thyme is also useful for men. It concentrates trace elements important for men's health. Selenium in the plant is necessary for the synthesis of testosterone, molybdenum activates enzymes that are responsible for the normal sexual function.
How to use thyme in traditional medicineIn folk medicine, thyme is often used due to its availability, taste and, in fact, healing properties. The simplest form of application is thyme tea. For the preparation of such, you can use a fresh plant or dried. A teaspoon of herbs is poured with a glass of hot water, insisted for five minutes - and the tea is ready, just need to filter it. You can also mix the herb with black tea.
In the fight against alcoholism use a decoction of thyme. It is prepared by pouring 15 grams of raw material with 500 ml of boiling water. The mixture is held for 15 minutes in a water bath, filtered and boiling water is added to obtain 500 ml output. Such decoctions are effective for withdrawal from binge. You can take a decoction for two weeks at 50 grams, and after it drink a little alcohol. Resistant gag reflex helps to turn away from alcohol.
When radiculitis, diseases of the joints prepare thyme tincture. For its preparation you need to take 8 tablespoons of raw materials, pour them with 0.5 liters of vodka. Insist in a dark place for two weeks, shaking. Then strain the mixture and rub into sore parts of the body. You can also take baths with such diseases - take 200 grams of thyme for 2 liters of boiling water and insist. Take a bath for 15 minutes two days.
When female diseases can be done douching. For them, you need to pour one part of the raw material with three parts of water, boil for a couple of minutes, cool and strain. Douching is carried out at night.
With sexual weakness in men, use the following recipe: 2 tablespoons of herbs pour 500 ml of boiling water, insist 2-3 hours. After strain and take half a glass for half an hour before meals twice a day.You can gargle with thyme with inflammatory diseases of the oral cavity, pharynx. Crushed grass is poured with boiling water, infused for an hour and after filtering rinse the mouth with warm infusion. It also helps with toothache.
Thyme decoctions are taken under the following conditionsiyah:gtin pains, insomnia, nervous agitation, neuralgia, epilepsy, fear, stress, pneumonia, anemia, bronchitis, intestinal diseases, diseases of the stomach, and so on.
Thyme in cosmetology
Thyme oil found application in cosmetology. It is used for beauty and strength of hair. Apply it before shampooing - you need to rub into the scalp or mix the oil with shampoo, about 5 ml per 20 ml of shampoo. It will help get rid of dandruff, normalizes the work of the sebaceous glands, reduces the fat content of the hair.
Also, to prevent hair loss, thyme decoctions are used - 4 tablespoons of herbs pour 400 ml of water, boil for 10 minutes, strain, cool. After washing the hair they rinse hair. Flush it is not necessary.
Herbal medicine with thyme includes steam baths for the skin of the face. Thyme (thyme) pour boiling water for 20 minutes. Take a tablespoon of grass for half a liter of water. Above the hot broth bend over, covering his head with a towel. Keep the face above the steam bath for 10 minutes.When flabby skin, enlarged pores, inflammations apply compresses of thyme. A glass of boiling water is combined with a tablespoon of thyme, allowed to cool. After that you can moisten gauze or cotton cloth in broth and apply to face. The procedure lasts 15-20 minutes.
The use of thyme in cooking
Thyme leaves are used in cooking. This seasoning is used fresh and dried. The pungent smell, spicy, slightly bitter taste is such a thyme in dishes.
Thyme leaves added to the dishes improve the taste and aroma, give bitterness. In the bakery business thyme is the leading spice. Vegetable dishes - cabbage and potatoes - are also transformed with thyme.
Using thyme as a seasoning for fatty foods helps improve digestion. Due to the wonderful aromatic properties of thyme is used in small quantities for cooking.
Preparation of medical raw materialsAn important role is played by the locality in which thyme grew. The collection of grass should be carried out only in areas with good ecology, far from roads and industries.
For treatment, collect the aerial part of the plant. The collection is carried out in the flowering period - the end of June - the beginning of August. The shoots with peduncles cut with scissors, placed in bags or a basket so that they do not hesitate and are not pressed.
Thyme must be collected in dry weather, after the morning dew has dried. Raw materials must be cleaned from lignified stems, diseased and thinned shoots, as well as insect larvae.Dry thyme laid under the roof, in the shade and in a well-ventilated place. The grass is laid out in a thin layer on paper or on a natural canvas, can be dried in a suspended form.
After drying, the thyme stems become brittle, the leaves and flowers fall off. Quality collection consists of dark green leaves, dried brownish flowers and thin twigs and stems.
Thyme can be stored in a glass jar, canvas bag, paper or cardboard bag. In polyethylene, raw materials coexist and lose medicinal properties. Store for two years.
To whom thyme (thyme) can not be used
Thyme has beneficial properties and contraindications. Thyme should not be used in the following conditions:
- individual intolerance,
- myocardial infarction,
- kidney disease
- liver disease,
- stomach ulcer,
- reduced thyroid function.
Caution in the application must be observed pregnant. Some studies claim that thyme can increase the tone of the uterus, and this provokes a miscarriage. In this regard, tea from thyme cannot be abused.
You also need to remember that thyme-based products can lead to the development of hypothyroidism and high blood pressure. Overdose causes nausea. But in general, the use of thyme has a healing effect on the body. The main thing is to comply with the measure, and the grass will bring only benefit.
Thyme and its chemical composition
Many do not know what thyme is good for. In fact, it is a very useful spice. Thyme ether composition is rich in carvacrol - a powerful natural antibiotic and bactericidal substance that destroys even a staph infection. There are many other compounds in the essential oil: thymol, cymol, linalool, and also karyofillen.
Chemical composition of thyme:
- vitamin C, B, A, tocopherols, nicotinic acid,
- beta carotene
- the vitamin-like substance choline,
- from terpene alcohols: terpineol and borneol,
- ursolic acid
- minerals: sodium and potassium, iron compounds, calcium salts, selenium.
The energy value of thyme - 275 kcal in every 100 grams. Most of all, this plant includes carbohydrates - almost 64 g, protein compounds - 9 g, lipids - 7 g.
The specific composition of thyme has provided him with widespread use for medical purposes. The phenol derivative, thymol, which is rich in spicy culture, gently but effectively fights against pathogenic microorganisms. Also, this compound does not tolerate helminths, pathogens of fungal infections.
To meat and fish
Most often, the spice is used for game dishes. Powdered dry plant rubbed pieces of meat and carcass of fish before baking. Spice is also added to sausage or meat cutlet. Spice is perfect for dishes with a high content of fat, because it activates digestion. Dry herb is suitable for cooking smoked meat or frying on fat.
Vegetables and mushrooms
Thyme necessarily included in the composition of spices, for example, in the "Provencal herbs." Thyme is used in Mediterranean dishes, added to salads, because it goes well with various vegetables and especially with mushrooms.
Light pleasant bitterness can only strengthen the appetite.
This is another culinary trend for thyme - soups and borscht, rich broths. They acquire a special aroma and unusual flavor, even with the addition of a pinch of thyme.
In addition to these dishes, thyme is added:
- in alcoholic beverages, spirit tinctures,
- in hard and pickled cheeses,
- when pickling and preserving (thyme olives set off especially well),
- in the composition of sweet and salty pastries.
The lemon variety of thyme is loved by confectioners all over the world. They are flavored with various desserts.
This complex addiction is also treatable with thyme decoction. You need 15 g of plants to fill in 0.5 liters of boiling water. The mixture is heated on a water bath or on low heat for 15 minutes, filtered and brought to 0.5 l with boiling water. If you drink this broth 50 ml daily for 2 weeks, it will provide an emetic reflex to any alcoholic beverages.
For diseases of the joints
An alcoholic infusion cooked in thyme is a miracle cure that perfectly copes not only with diseases of the joints, but also with radiculitis.
To make it will need:
- 8 tbsp. l herbs,
- 1 bottle of vodka (0.5 l.).
In a glass jar, mix the grass with vodka, hide in a dark place for 14 days. During this time, it is necessary to shake the contents from time to time. After 2 weeks, the infusion should be filtered and rubbed their sore spots.
Also cure rheumatism and remove pain in the joints help bath on the decoction of the plant. It should be 2 liters. boiling water insist 200 grams of dry thyme, then add this infusion to the bath, take it 15 minutes two days in a row.
Tea brewed on thyme, after the first use, relieves the patient's condition with various pulmonary problems, asthma, bronchitis.
It is prepared in the following sequence:
- A tablespoon of a hill of grass is placed in a thermos, add 200 ml. boiling water.
- Tea insist 2-3 hours, then filtered.
- Dosage for adults - 1 tbsp. l. for children - 1 tsp. Take the broth three times a day after meals.
From strong and prolonged cough, external use of thyme will help. In order to alleviate the condition, you will need to rub the breast area with infusion of thyme. Then put on top of a sheet of ordinary paper, soaked in goat fat. This compress should be put on the night. Just a few days of therapy and bronchitis will disappear once and for all.
Contraindications and possible harm
If you do not follow the dosage of thyme, you can get harm instead of health benefits. Do not use thyme in pregnant women, in the presence of an ulcer in the intestine or stomach, as well as in patients with hepatitis, atrial fibrillation or pyelonephritis.
Before you use fresh thyme, you need to remember that with reduced thyroid function and atherosclerosis, it can be harmful.
Delicious and healthy thyme spice can save you from many ailments. This is the most popular plant, the need for which only increases.
When is it best to collect thyme
Most often thyme is found in the forest belt, on the slopes, sandy areas and glades. Currently cultivated widely in the gardens.
For drying, thyme begins to collect as it blooms. The flowering period is mainly in the summer months - the plant begins to bloom in late May, and ends in early September.
Traditionally, in Russia, the best time to gather thyme blossoms are the days of the church holidays of the Assumption and the Trinity. It should be noted that the thyme collected at this time is used for medicinal purposes. If the plant requires me as a seasoning, it is advisable to collect the product before flowering in order to avoid taste loss.
How to collect thyme
To pick thyme, you need a sharply sharpened knife or scissors. The tool shoots the plants along with the leaves. It is important to trace the condition of the stem of thyme, which should not be hard.
When collecting raw materials, you can not break off branches or pull a plant out of the ground - this will lead to the death of the entire shrub. It is also not recommended to cut absolutely all shoots - the plant will not be able to multiply and grow vegetatively. The same bush can be treated in this way no more than once every 2 years.
Often, due to the lack of specialized equipment, at home they resort to natural drying of thyme. This method is called solar drying, although it is made exclusively in the shade. It is important that the air in the room is warm. With a significant loss of moisture, the volume of the plant will decrease by more than half.
Drying of leaves, inflorescences and stems is performed according to a certain technology:
- preparing the surface for drying thyme - a tray or cloth, lined with paper,
- plant fragments are laid out,
- the plant is dried in a warm dark room with a sufficient volume of air circulation in order to avoid spoiling thyme,
- the duration of the preparation of the product depends on the light length of the day and reaches five days,
- for a more uniform air exposure to the plant, its parts are periodically turned over.
At the same time it is necessary to observe climatic and hygienic restrictions in order to get a high-quality product at the exit:
- high humidity of the room is detrimental to the drying process,
- at temperatures above 35 degrees Celsius, thyme can lose a lot of nutrients,
- in order to avoid damage to the plant by insects or contamination by dust, you can cover the thyme with gauze.
Dried thyme, storage rules
The aroma and properties of thyme with its proper processing will not be lost. There are certain signs of the end of drying:
- darkening of the leaves and increase their rigidity while maintaining the green tint,
- lack of elasticity of raw materials, fragility,
- easy separation of leaves from thyme stalks.
After drying, the plant is sifted through a large sieve, hard stems are separated from the leaves. The plant is packed in porcelain, cardboard or canvas. It is important that the plant layer does not exceed 5 cm. Thyme is stored in a dry place. The recommended frequency of replacement of raw materials is a year.
In folk treatment methods, the easiest way to brew herbs is used: a tablespoon of thyme is poured with a glass of boiling water. In a closed vessel, the infusion is prepared for about two hours, after which the filtered drink is taken three times a day, 4 tablespoons each time. This method of thyme is good at treating ulcerative manifestations of the stomach, cough and tuberculosis.
Instead of tea you can make boiling water with thyme, boil over low heat with the addition of honey. This drink is used as a tonic. If the infusion has a very specific taste, it is mixed with any kind of regular tea.
For maximum manifestation of the positive effect of the use of herbal therapy, thyme is mixed with other herbs. Well thyme interacts with chamomile, mint, hawthorn, nettle, sage and oregano.
Thyme in cooking
Since the plant has a pronounced spicy aroma and taste, thyme is widely used as a seasoning in various dishes. Widely used in French dishes, and also refers to the bouquet of Provence. When added to fatty foods, thyme facilitates and accelerates its absorption by the body. Often, thyme is used in smoking sausages and cooking legumes.
Для чистоты и яркости аромата рекомендуется использование свежих листьев ползучего тимьяна. The bouquet of thyme is not fully revealed immediately, so it is better to add this spice at the very beginning of preparation. Thyme can be replaced with oregano or oregano.
To flavor thyme revealed more advantageously, it is worth considering its compatibility with other products. The most successful combinations of thyme with spices can be considered a mixture with oregano, parsley, bay leaf, marjoram, rosemary and lavender. As for adding thyme to dishes and foods, combinations with legumes, beans, cheese, eggplants, carrots, any kind of fish, game and poultry meat, potatoes, tomato and mushrooms will be advantageous. Beneficial thyme otten the taste of honey, apples and pears.