Not falling in love with adenium is difficult. Under favorable conditions happy flowering ¾ year, grows fast, unpretentious in care (for example, Adenium obese).
For lovers of flowers with an exotic look, it gives the opportunity to grow almost real bonsai in a ridiculously short time.
Adenium will definitely show all its advantages to anyone who can give the plant enough light, and will not flood protection from the cold.
Adenium is grown by seeds, cuttings, layering, grafting method on the basis of oleander or the same type of plant.
Basics of successful cultivation at home the young shoots of Adenium are:
- The ability to provide a comfortable temperature
- Sufficient lighting,
- Optimum daylight hours (12 hours),
- Strictly dosed watering,
- Air-permeable soil
- Presence of drainage layer
- Drainage holes in the pot.
Three options soil for adeniums:
- Peat from coconut (3 h.), Vermiculite (1 h.), Humus (1 h.), Foam plastic (2 h.), Peel from earthen nuts (1 h.), Small crushed stone (1 h.).
- Solid fractions of crushed stone or similar material (8 h.), Coconut peat (1 h.), Vegetable fiber (1 h.).
- Ready soil for cacti.
Types, size of flowerpots:
- Pot Material does not affect the development of adenium.
- Tanks should have drainage holes.
- Until the plants are three years old, each copy preferably transplanted annually, choosing small in diameter, moderately deep tanks.
- In parallel, you can engage in giving an interesting form, protruding above the soil roots.
- Mature plants can be kept in wide, small vases.
Temperature and watering
Temperatures comfortable for the plant and irrigated:
- Summer: at 23–38 С ° (irrigation of foliage on hot days, moderate systematic watering as soon as the soil dries out completely after the last wetting, daily moderate watering on days when it is hot and stuffy around the clock).
- Winter: at 13–18 С ° (poor watering when detecting a decrease in elasticity in the lower part of the trunk — caudex), at 10–13 ° C (watering should be reduced to a minimum, otherwise the root system will rot).
Cultivation from seed (sowing rules)
Adenium seeds have shorter service life - After purchasing the planting material, do not tighten it with germination. The optimal period of planting adenium seeds: from April to the end of August.
The effort required to grow seedlings of Adenium is paid off by obtaining specimens with high decorativeness caudex.
For Adenium, growing from seed at home begins with pre-prepared tank with soilconsisting of sand, crushed granules of charcoal and verimkulita.
It is permissible to replace the last component with small fraction gravel, pretreated with boiling water or 20 minutes later in a red-hot oven for disinfection.
Before placing the seeds in the ground capacity with him need keep at least 12 hours in a warm place, to achieve a good warm-up of the soil mixture.
Having distributed the seeds on the ground in the grooves or individual shallow excavations, sowing Adenium lightly sprayed, and then sprinkled with soil. But no thicker than 3-4 mm. Crib is covered with plastic wrap to create greenhouse conditions.
Seed containers should be kept warm around the clock.
It is highly desirable that the temperatures around and inside the pot was not below 32 ° C.
More low rates (lower limit of 22 ° C) will increase the risk rot development inside seeds and their subsequent death, delayed the process of hatching survivors.
Under favorable conditions sprouts appear in 3–7 days. However, some seeds can germinate three times longer.
Young sprouts sprayed with warm water as the soil dries around them, air twice a day.
At the end of two months from the date of germination of seeds, young adenium is ready for transplantation. If there is enough space in the tank, and the seedlings are green, “cheerful”, they actively increase growth and gain volume in the “waist”, then can be kept in the manger longer.
Seeds Adenium, photo
Planted grown seedlings can be in a separate container with the same soil as in the greenhouse. Not terrible to the plant and the change of soil on the finished store soil for cacti.
Having transferred the seedling of Adenium together with a clod of earth to a slightly moist new place, the first meager irrigation is done no earlier than a week later.
Even transplanting by plant transfer stress.Therefore, you need to take care of the clock support for the optimum temperature near the pet, to eliminate the additional adverse load on him.
Plant suitable southern or southeast window. The more light it receives, the more abundant and brighter the flowering will be. Adult leaves are not afraid of the most burning sun rays, but young need to pritenyat at noon.
Summer watering is abundant and frequent, when the topsoil dries out, about 2-3 times a week. In the winter - rare, only when all mix in a pot dries. Water is used filtered, warm. Temperature.
The higher the ambient temperature, the greater should be the humidity and vice versa. Optimum mode: 25-30 degrees in the summer, in the winter at 16-20 the plant sheds leaves and goes into hibernation. Top dressing.
Fertilizer is applied only during the period of active development. Organic fertilizers based on pigeon or chicken manure are used, as well as complex mineral fertilizers (Monophosphate, Kemira).
Young plants (up to 3 years) are fed with fertilizers with a large amount of nitrogen, age - with a small one.
If the plant is healthy and the conditions are optimal - mineral fertilizers are used once a week (1/4 of the recommended concentration), organic - once in 3-4 weeks (also 1/4).
In other cases, top-dressing - once a month in the same amounts. An hour before applying the plant is watered and sprayed. Fertilizer should not get on the ground parts of the plant. Foliar nutrition is rarely used, with a clear deficiency of trace elements. Pruning.
- Forming a beautiful crown.
- Activating plant growth. This procedure is especially necessary for plants older than 5 years.
For young plants, from 3 months to 3 years, it is better to pinch, i.e. remove 2-3 centimeters apex or branches on the side. Before pruning, adenium is washed in warm clear water, the cut is made at a distance of 1-1.5 cm from caudex.
The diseased parts of the plant are removed to healthy tissue, and the cutting tool is disinfected in alcohol. Abundant secretion of juice to stop after 1-2 days. The minimum cutting height is 10 centimeters above the ground. Very thin shoots, emerged after pruning, plucked.
It also removes curves, soft, rubbing stalks together. To stimulate growth can be removed and too thick. Hemp after pruning should not remain. The cut place is air-dried for several minutes and smeared with garden pitch, special balm or paste. The absence of putty is not critical, but may affect the healing of the cuts.
In order to avoid getting the juice in the eyes or mouth of pets and babies to the plant is not allowed.
Trimming and nipping during the rest period (winter and autumn) are not done. Suitable months are March-April, simultaneously with the transplant of a plant.
What to do if he refuses to give buds?
The lack of flowering in the fifth year of life of the plant suggests that the recommendations for the care were violated. Why does not the plant bloom? Possible reasons:
- Lack of light. The restriction applies only to weakened individuals and peaked seedlings.
- Low temperature.
- Incorrectly chosen planting pot (a large pot causes active root growth and there is not enough power to bloom).
- Shaped pruning not carried out.
- The plant overfeeds, as a result of which it grows excessive foliage and depletes the root system.
- Wrong watering or excessively cold water.
- In the pot was planted another plant. Adenium does not like neighbors nearby.
- Heredity - surprisingly it sounds, but in some plants it also has an effect. If the pollination was between the early bloomed “parents,” then their child, sprouted from the resulting seeds, will bloom too early.
After a transplant, caring for adenium at home is not as difficult as it seems.
Let's start with trimming. Carry out this procedure in the spring, when the growing season begins in adenium. This procedure is not necessary, but if you have a desire to form a tree or a bush from it, then it is even necessary.
If you want to form a tree, then you need to cut the side branches of adenium no more than one-third. When forming a bush you need to cut even lower. This applies to every branch of adenium.
You also need to mention about what you need to feed adenium. The plant is very positive fertilizer. You can make slowly soluble fertilizers or regularly feed it with a solution of organo-mineral fertilizers.
Top dressing is made during flowering and growing season, about 1-2 times a month.
It is important to mention that phosphorus-potassium fertilizers have a positive effect on flowering and strengthen the plant.
Many florists feed the plant 3 times a month with complex fertilizers for streps and violets, and during flowering adeniums will suit fertilizers for cacti and succulents.
As you can see, adenium is very simple to grow, and sowing its seeds does not take much time and labor.
It is possible to obtain a bizarre and intricate shape from home-growing adenium using the seed method of reproduction and the forming scrap. Given the mass of advantages, many connoisseurs of beautiful vegetation dream of growing adenium from seeds at home on their own.
In order for the upcoming event to be successful, it is important to assess your readiness and explore some recommendations for the proper handling of the landing. Someone believes that the occupation is very difficult and almost impossible to implement, however, everything is much easier than it seems from the beginning. Due to the unpretentious nature, adenium quietly takes root in our latitudes and does not impose high requirements on the conditions of detention. The flower is native to tropical and subtropical Africa, so it can tolerate both prolonged drought and abrupt changes in temperature. Also, it is not harmed by direct sunlight or high humidity.
Among the many varieties and hybrid varieties of the plant, adenium obesum with a unique appearance and good growth rates at home is in especially great demand.
Adeniums from seeds: cultivation. Seed Features
If you intend to grow this succulent in your apartment, pay attention to the method of reproduction using seeds. The fact is that it is distinguished by its particular simplicity and high performance, since germination percentage reaches excellent performance. There are no particular difficulties in performing the procedure, and a correctly selected substrate and high quality of each seed give very good results. At the same time to grow such a plant at home is very interesting.
Important advice: buying seeds in a specialty store, consider their shelf life. The fact is that after reaching the six-month age, their germination rate deteriorates.
As for landing, it is carried out taking into account only some of the features. Among them:
- The optimum air temperature, which should not be below 28 degrees Celsius,
- Loose and breathable soil
How to plant adenium seed at home
Wanting to start growing adenium from seeds, follow the following sequence of actions:
- Preparatory stages. First you need to choose a quality planting material and put it in a warm solution of fungicide or potassium permanganate, and then in a good growth promoter. It is also important to properly prepare the substrate. The best solution would be a universal soil product, which consists of baking powder in the form of perlite, crushed brick, coarse sand and other ingredients.
- Selection of suitable sowing containers. Experts recommend taking low boxes with a decent width, or a mini-greenhouse. It is important that there is a suitable drainage layer at the bottom of the tank,
- Sowing seeds. Seeds are placed on the surface of the soil and sprinkled with a thin layer of soil (usually up to one centimeter). After this, the boxes must be covered with plastic wrap and moved to a warm, shaded place. If you are engaged in the cultivation of several varieties of adenium plant, be sure to mark them with separators with inscriptions, because in the early stages of development, the seedlings will look similar. For more productive growth, it is sufficient to regularly air the “hot house” and water the seedlings with a spray gun. When the first green sprouts begin to grow stronger, the polyethylene is removed, and the container is transferred to more lighted conditions,
Proper care of seedlings
Depending on the quality of planting material and varietal characteristics, the first shoots can break through the top layers of soil on the fourth day. And sometimes it happens only in a month, because everything is ambiguous. The optimum temperature in the building with seedlings should not fall below 20 degrees. It is important to slowly and gradually accustom the seeds to the light.. After intense exposure to sunlight, transfer the container to shaded conditions.
As for irrigation, it should remain moderate, but it should not be allowed to dry out the soil. Any lack of moisture can lead to the death of the flower.
As for the flowering period, it begins at the adenium plant two years after planting. Sometimes this is seen only at 3 or 4 years of growth. In most cases, the first flower stalks cannot develop completely and disappear, because the plant does not have enough vitality for further growth.
When caring for seedlings should pay attention to such features, because of which the plant may not bloom:
- Adenium does not get the right amount of sunlight and heat,
- Soil composition is wrong,
- The capacity where the cultivation takes place has uncomfortable dimensions,
Peculiarities of flowering are also determined by varietal properties. Considering the variety Adenium Obesum, it is safe to say that it begins to bloom before anyone else.
After the appearance of the first peduncles, the plant should be left alone and not moved to other places. Should also refuse to use mineral fertilizers, and instead provide a flower enhanced watering.
The maturation of the buds is carried out for a month.
The key to a good and fast growth of adenium at home is the correct and timely picking. Such an action is mandatory and is carried out after the appearance of the second pair of true leaves. Seedlings should be planted in individual pots or in a general container. As the green shoots grow, they need to provide moderate watering and supplementation with complex preparations two months after transplantation. During the first week after the picking, the plant is not watered.
When choosing a soil, one should pay attention to neutral compounds, the main thing is that they remain quite loose. A good option consists of:
- 1 part turf land,
- 1 piece of leafy ground
- 1 part of coarse sand
And 0.5 parts of charcoal.
Also the bottom of the pot should be covered with a drainage layer.
As for the care of transplanted seedlings, it includes the optimum temperature in the range of 25 degrees. It is also important to provide the flower with a 12-hour light day and regular airing of the room for one hour daily. Watering is carried out as the soil dries. The main thing is that in a bitter there is no stagnation of moisture or drying out of the soil. The root system of young shoots reacts negatively to any changes in terms of substrate moisture.
If the seedlings were planted in a common container, then when they appear on four true leaves, you can pick a pick in an individual pot of small size. In the first year of life only 3 transplants are allowed..
Transfer events are held in the spring. Young specimens need an annual transplant, and adults - one procedure in 2-3 years. When choosing a pot should pay attention to the wide and low capacity, preferably ceramic with a light shade.
When to get vaccinated
Being engaged in the cultivation of adenium from seeds, it is necessary take care and mandatory vaccination. The action allows you to place several varieties of plants on the same trunk, which is very convenient. During the flowering period, such hybrids are characterized by a special attractiveness and originality. For the rootstock used grown seedlings or formed specimens. A healthy branch with beautiful flower stalks is used as a graft material.
The procedure is performed in early summer or spring, when the active movement of the juice along the stem begins. As for the step by step instructions, it looks like this:
- The stock and graft are cut at a certain angle.It is then firmly fixed with a specialized vaccination spray,
- Further the stock is cut, and a cut is made in the middle of the branch. In turn, the graft is cut off by a wedge-shaped method, and then placed in the cut of the stock and connected using electrical tape.
It is important that the conditions where the grafted plants will develop be warm enough with a temperature index of 35 degrees Celsius. In addition, novice florist should take care of comfortable humidity and a good day light. The main thing is that direct sunlight does not fall on the plant. New processes that appear on the stock as they grow should be trimmed.
Advice: it is known that poisonous substances are contained in adenium juice, therefore it is necessary to follow all precautionary rules at different stages of flower care.
Caudex and Root Formation
Asking the question “how to form adenium caudex?”, It is important to know that such an action is carried out with the help of roots, which become thick and begin to push the plant out of the soil. To create a beautiful form, procedures begin to be carried out in the early stages of flower growth and development at about the age of three months.
- When transplanting is necessary trim some parts of the side rootsthat are right at the trunk. The seedling itself rises slightly above the ground, which allows the roots to bare barely,
- In the process of transplanting It is important to cut the longest, usually rod, root and pinch the top of the flower. For quick healing of cuts, they must be processed with paraffin, hydrogen peroxide or crushed coal. Such simple actions will allow the root system to develop much faster,
- To the decorative properties of adenium were the best, many flower growers Caudex-shaped octopus. For this, during transfer work, you need to cut off the taproot and place the plant on a flat stone that is in the center of the pot. In this case, all lateral roots should be evenly distributed by the fan method and lowered into the ground. From above, they are sprinkled with soil. Each pick is accompanied by an increase in the size of the stones, until the roots are sufficiently large and reliably fix the expected shape,
With each transplant, adenium should be raised a few centimeters above the ground. You can not do it too high, because this can cause slow growth and development of peduncles.
For successful caudex formation, it is important provide a balanced watering flower. If you intend to achieve excellent growth in a quick time, be sure to regularly moisten the soil and keep it in this state for some time.
An important step in the care of this exotic flower is pruning and nipping. Such actions make it possible to give the seedling a beautiful shape and make it decoratively valuable. In springtime, all the extra branches are cut off, which slows down the growth of green mass and gives the flower the opportunity to create new growth points that are felt 1.5 months after pinching or pruning.
Proper pruning ensures fast growth of new leaves and accelerated flowering times.
It is quite possible to grow beautiful adenium using tiny seed at home. The main thing is to take into account the recommendations of professional flower growers and follow the step-by-step guide on flower care at different stages of its life cycle. With the right content, the end result will meet all expectations.
The natural habitat of adenium is the stony desert areas of the African continent. For the extraordinary beauty of flowering here it is often called the "rose of the desert." In nature, there are 7 types of adenium, most of which are grown in a room.
Among fans, specimens with large thickenings of the base of the trunk, so-called “caudexes” or “bottles,” are especially valued. In them, the plant stores water and nutrients, and it is they who give the flower such an unusual look.
In nature, adeniums are capable of reaching a height of 2 m. Under room conditions, they are miniature trees. Flowers bloom on them before the leaves. Buds are white, red, pink and cream. Very often there is a combination of light and dark tones.
Attention! The plant is very poisonous, so it is recommended to work with it in gloves. For the same reason, in an apartment where there are small children, it is better not to start it.
Most often in the nurseries adeniums are propagated by cutting. With this method, all species characteristics are preserved, but one significant drawback is noted - caudex is growing very slowly. Therefore, lovers are trying to propagate their seeds.
How to grow a plant from seed
Purchase material for planting adenium in our time is not difficult. Offers can be found online or in stores. Suitable seeds are colored light brown and are tubular in shape. It should be borne in mind that six months after collection, their germination is greatly reduced.
The rules for growing are as follows:
- For planting, you can use any capacity. The main thing is to make holes at its bottom to drain excess water.
- When sowing, seeds are not buried in the ground. They are simply laid out on the surface and slightly pressed.
- After the ground is sprayed from a spray bottle and cover the container with a film. Airing is arranged once a day.
- Both during preparation and after sowing it is very important to maintain the ambient temperature in the region of +30 .. + 35 ° C. At lower rates, seeds may not climb.
Council You can use a heating pad or a shoe dryer to pre-heat the crop tank, having previously protected the instruments from moisture.
- The container with the plants sprouted in 4-5 days is moved to the light window-sill.
- After the formation of 2 leaves, they are seated in separate pots.
- Adeniums grown from seeds bloom in 1.5-2 years.
This way you can grow a lot of “desert roses” at a time. And from the financial side it will be quite inexpensive.
How to care for seedlings
Caring for adenium is not complicated and comes down to the following work:
- correct watering
- maintaining the right temperature and light.
Water the plants only with a noticeable drying of the soil. Adeniums are by nature desert dwellers and for them waterlogging is more terrible than drought.
From the general capacity, young plants are seated only when they begin to touch each other with leaves. As they grow, they are transplanted into larger pots. The room temperature should be above + 25 ° C. Already at + 20 ° C, the plant slows down growth and refuses to bloom. To light adeniums are also demanding, as well as to temperature. It is better to keep them on the south windows, and during the short daylight hours to illuminate with luminescent or special phyto-lamps.
How to form caudex
Caudex is a very interesting “detail” of adenium, giving the plant an unusual look. It is formed with age itself in the form of a bottle, but if desired, other forms can be obtained. To work will require:
- grown seedling with 3-4 leaves,
- landing tank
- small plastic circle
- garden pitch,
- sharp knife.
Form caudex as follows:
- Seedling carefully removed from the soil.
- Disinfected with a knife, pruned the taproot and the top of the plant with their subsequent treatment with garden pitch.
- The plant is set on a plastic circle. The roots are spread over it in the desired direction.
- Sprinkled with a small layer of earth and lightly rammed.
- Water the plant only a day after the procedure.
The formation process is rather lengthy. It may take several months or even years. But the result is worth it. Specialists are able to create real masterpieces in the form of figures of animals, birds, etc.
Adenium is no longer a rarity. It can be purchased at the store or ordered online. However, for true lovers to independently grow a miracle tree from seed is a matter of principle. And to make it quite simple, there would be a desire.