This is an early variety of kohlrabi. The vegetation period lasts from germination until 65-75 days of commercial viability. This variety of kohlrabi cabbage is suitable for growing both in open ground and in protected ground (greenhouses and greenhouses). Rosette leaves small (30-45 centimeters in diameter). The leaves are white Vienna varieties 1350 lyre, light grayish-green, smooth. Scapes are thin (up to 0.6 cm), long, leaf plates are triangular, small (length 16-27 cm, width 9-24 cm). The outer stump is very short. The stem is light green, round or flat-rounded in shape, the average diameter in the economic phase is about 7 to 9 centimeters, the commodity and taste of the cabbage are good. The flesh of the stebleplod is whitish, with greening, tender, juicy. Stability is bad. Stebleplod is prone to very rapid growth. The variety is quite heat-resistant and drought-resistant, it is strongly affected by cabbage kela.
Photo kohlrabi "Vienna White"
The early kohlrabi variety ripens several days later than the Vienna White variety. Rosette leaves small. The leaves are similar in size and shape to the Vienna white variety, but have a purple leaf vein and petiole. Stebleplod cabbage varieties of Vienna blue in shape and size is the same as that of the Vienna white, the color of the peel is purple. The flesh is white, tender, juicy. This variety is more resistant to sprouting compared to the Vienna White variety.
Photo Kohlrabi cabbage variety "Vienna blue"
Optimus Blue Povir
The variety is early ripening, ripening six days later than the Vienna white. From germination to the beginning of economic validity passes 68-90 days. The rosette of leaves is small and medium. The leaves are similar to the leaves of the Vienna white, but the stalks and plates are larger. Stebleplod in Optimus blue cultivar. Povir cultivars are flat-rounded or rounded, purple in color. Ripening stemmalod friendly. It is more resistant to tsvetushnosti, it grows more slowly, and is more stable than Vienna White. The average yield of kohlrabi cabbage is 23 kg per ten m². Distributed in the Far North.
Prague white early vygonochnaya
Kohlrabi cabbage variety early. The rosette of leaves is small, raised. The leaves are small, light green, stem of medium length or thin, long. Stebleplod flat or round or round, light green color. The flesh is white, high taste, juicy. Stability is bad. The variety is prone to sprouting. Used for forcing both in greenhouses and greenhouses, as well as grown in open ground.
Very early variety of kohlrabi cabbage. The rosette of leaves is small, raised. The leaves are small, dark green, stem of medium length or long, thin. Stebleplod is flat-round, light green in color. The pulp of the Moravia variety is of high taste, white, juicy, tender. Stability is bad. The variety is prone to sprouting. More resistant to cooling than the Prague white.
Pictured Kohlrabi Moravia variety
Stupitska field early
Early variety. Rosette of leaves is not large. Leaves are wide oval, dark green. Scape of medium length. Stebleplod is flat-round, light green. The variety of kohlrabi field hub early suitable for cultivation in the field.
The variety is very early. Rosette of leaves is small. The leaves are smooth, broadly oval with running to the base, green in color. Petioles of medium length, thin. Stebleplod is small or medium, flat or flat-round shape, light green. Used for forcing in greenhouses and growing in field conditions.
A variety that has recently appeared on sale, and has already confidently taken its place among the best kohlrabi varieties of foreign selection. Early ripe - ripens in 42 days. The skin is smooth, the flesh is snow-white, sweet, crunchy. In diameter reaches 16 cm. Resistant to diseases.
Photo "cabbage-turnip" variety Konan
Late Kohlrabi Cabbage Varieties
Violetta is a late ripe excellent variety of kohlrabi cabbage. Stalk (stemblod) weighing up to two kg, with excellent taste and juicy pulp, dark purple color (inside white). Variety "Violetta" resistant to dry weather, low temperatures, suitable for storage.
Photo cabbage Kohlrabi varieties "Violetta"
Medium early variety. The period from germination to harvest is 72-87 days. Stebleplod of bluish-purple color, rounded-flat form, weighing about 160 g. The value of this type of cabbage is that it practically does not outgrow, therefore it is removed as needed, when it reaches 6-8 cm in diameter. This quality is achieved due to the high location above the ground of the stebleplod.
This variety is late and belongs to the varieties of Czech selection. The period from germination to harvest is 70-78 days. A stem of dark purple with a gray tint grows up to 2 kg, the shape is flat-round. The grade has excellent tastes and is suitable for storage. The variety is frost resistant. Contains vitamins of group B and C. The best grade of cabbage which can be used as dressing.
Late variety of Czech breeding. The period from emergence to harvest is 89-100 days. Stebleplod is large, light green, weighing up to 3 kg, 15-20 cm in diameter, rounded shape. The flesh of this variety is juicy. An important feature of this variety is drought resistance. Fruits are suitable for storage.
Blue Planet F1
This variety belongs to mid-season hybrids. The stem of bluish-green color reaches a mass of 150-200 g, the shape is flat-round. The pulp is dense, tender, does not contain fibers. Stebleplods are suitable for long-term storage.
Early ripe variety. Stebleplod of white color, large sizes. This variety is valuable in high content of sugars and vitamins in fruits. It is able to outgrow, therefore the stembrood is cleaned in diameter up to 8 cm. This variety is less demanding to heat and soil fertility, but unstable to fluctuations in soil moisture.
"Delicious red"Early variety. A stem of red-purple color grows in weight to 1.5-2 kg, the shape is rounded. This variety is valuable in that during spring planting the stelplod does not outgrow and does not lose taste.
Also an important characteristic is that the plant does not produce flower arrows and is frost-resistant.
This variety belongs to the earliest varieties of cabbage. Stebleplod of light green color, small, flat-rounded shape. The leaves are smooth, green, oval-shaped, placed on thin low petioles. This grade is used both for greenhouses, and for an open ground.
Refers to early varieties. Stebleplod of light green color, flat-rounded shape. The flesh is juicy and has a high taste. The variety is not used for storage. Frost resistance is average. Prone to escalation. Mainly used for early production in greenhouses.
The best varieties of kohlrabi cabbage
Many gardeners are engaged in the cultivation of vegetables such as kohlrabi cabbage. Varieties differ in shape, color, and ripening. Fans of this root crop mark its unusual shape, and the capacity in it of a multitude of useful substances puts it on a par with healing medicines aimed at maintaining strength and restoring health.
Externally, the vegetable looks like a small spherical fruit, on which several leaves of different sizes are formed (depending on the variety). Basically, they eat exactly round fruit. It has a rather tight, medium density, structure and delicate taste. The leaves can often be used fresh to make salads.
The name of this interesting type of cabbage comes from the German word “kohlrabi”, which means “cabbage-turnip”. Why exactly this name received this vegetable? Some compare it with turnip, only cabbage leaves grow independently, while turnip leaves are collected in one bunch and grow from the base of the root crop together. Of course, the similarity is quite high, so you can call it that way.
Regardless of the variety of kohlrabi cabbage (see photo), each young and juicy fruit is very rich in vitamins A, B, C, D, E, K, as well as enzymes (pantothenic acid), fiber. It is also positioned as the richest in calcium. It can be safely put on a par with cottage cheese or milk. Nutritionists recommend eating kohlrabi every day.
It should be noted that the methods of cooking this cabbage are very diverse. It can be used for salads, stew, boil, bake, fry in breadcrumbs, and marinate. In the pickled form, it is especially good in combination with some varieties of tomatoes and cucumbers.
To choose a suitable vegetable of this type, it is necessary to determine the best varieties of kohlrabi cabbage for growing at home.
Kohlrabi cabbage varieties. Photo with name and description
Noteworthy is the fact that early varieties of kohlrabi cabbage are most suitable for fresh salads and liquid dishes. Mid-season is used, for the most part, for stuffing, stewing or baking. But later varieties are best marinated.
The fruits of this vegetable can have not only a different, rounded shape, but also color. As for the shape, there are oval, flat-round, round or egg-shaped fruits. By color, there are two main groups:
- White. All white Kohlrabi varieties are early, therefore they are more often chosen for growing at home. Accordingly, white kohlrabi cabbage is more likely to be eaten.
- Violet. These are mid-early and late-ripening varieties of kohlrabi cabbage. Fruits develop more slowly, the growing season is about three months.
- Sonata F1 . Medium early heterotic hybrid for open ground, which differs in violet color, tender, juicy pulp. The average weight of the fruit reaches 650 grams. For the entire growing season, under certain conditions, up to 2 harvests can be harvested.
- Kossak F1. An excellent choice for a cold climate. Well bears fruit and grows together. Fruits have a weight of 450 to 600 grams. Color - yellow-green. The flesh of the fruit inside is white. It has a delicate flavor.
According to reviews, the best varieties of kohlrabi cabbage have the following names:
- Vienna white 1350. Early variety with a growing season of up to 55-60 days. The shape of the fruit is round with flat poles. The color of the fruit is white. The average weight is about 850 g. An excellent grade for storage, also suitable for eating as fresh salads. The taste is very soft. The inner filling of the fruit has a delicate structure.
- Atena. Early variety. Vegetables are not distinguished by large parameters. The average weight of the fruit reaches 200 g. It has a juicy filling and delicate taste. The flesh inside is white. The first fruits can be collected on the 65th day after planting in open ground.
- Violetta. One of the most frost-resistant, late varieties, which is suitable for cultivation and in less severe conditions. The color is dark purple, the filling is white. If stored for a long time (up to 30 days), perfectly retains its taste properties.
- Moravia . One of the best varieties of kohlrabi cabbage for the middle band. The skin of the fruit has a green color, and the inner filling is white. Very soft taste makes this cabbage one of the most desirable for eating in any form.
Due to the variety of varieties, each summer resident can choose the best option to meet their needs. The vegetable has a beautiful extraordinary appearance, so it can be safely used to decorate garden beds, as well as to create original compositions in flower gardens.
Late-ripening variety. It ripens three weeks later than the Vienna white. Rosette of leaves is large (60-70 cm in diameter). The leaves are large, green. Petioles thick (more than 1 cm), long. Leaf plates are large (more than 25-30 cm long), triangular, gray-green. Stebleplod of Kohlrabi cabbage, Goliath variety, white, round or flat-round shape, large (over 20-25 cm in diameter), light green in color.
Taste lower than the Vienna white. The flesh is white, juicy, dense. The quality is good. The variety is drought-resistant, productive 300-500 centners per hectare. The variety is resistant to sprouting.
Late-ripening variety, similar to white goliath. Stebleplod flat-rounded and round in shape, violet color. The variety is resistant to sprouting and cracking, productive, maturation. At a young age is used in food.
Late variety of kohlrabi cabbage (photo below). It becomes ripe after 3 months. Planting seedlings varieties "Giant" in the ground produced in May (50x20 centimeters scheme). The socket at the "Giant" is semi-vertical, large, with a diameter of about 60 centimeters. Stebleplod with a diameter of 18 cm is large, rounded, with a yield of 3.5 kilograms per square meter. m. The color is whitish-greenish, the pulp is juicy, the taste is good. Kohlrabi variety "Giant" is characterized by good yield, high keeping quality.
Photo of the head of the Kohlrabi cabbage variety “Giant”
Delicious white kohlrabi
Foreign grade. Kohlrabi deli ripens in 65 days. The skin is soft, light green. When grown in winter greenhouses, when other Kohlrabi varieties cracked, this variety continued to grow well and had an excellent taste. You can already consume food when stebleplod reaches the diameter of a tennis ball. At the same time, the taste of that of a small stem, that of a grown up one, is always tender.
Early varieties of kohlrabi ripen in 55-70 days and are resistant to cold snaps and high yields. Such hybrids are characterized by a delicate taste and delicate aroma, the flesh of the stem fruit is very juicy, it is easily cut and quickly prepared. Kohlrabi early cabbage is suitable for fresh consumption and is often not suitable for long-term storage, because, as a rule, it has a low keeping quality.
The most popular among gardeners are such varieties:
It has a very good cold resistance and resistance to bolting, cracking and stiffening. Forms stebleplod with a diameter of 10 cm weighing up to 2.2 kg with a light green skin and white juicy pulp. Not suitable for long term storage.
Hybrid Czech selection, which gives a consistently rich harvest and is grown throughout the country. Stebleplodes are rounded in shape, weighing up to 220 g with light green skin and juicy white flesh.
A variety suitable for growing directly in the open field, can produce up to 2-3 harvests per season. Stebleplodes reach a mass of 600-700 g, have a purple skin color and a delicate core.
The variety of Czech breeding is distinguished by good yield and amicability of ripening of stem growers. The weight of cabbage usually reaches 300 g, stebleplody have a light green skin and a tender core. This hybrid is resistant to cracking and woodiness, therefore suitable for storage.
Late ripening varieties
The growing season of late cultivars of kohlrabi is 120-180 days. They are highly resistant to frost and bolting, while possessing excellent keeping quality. Late cabbage is best suited for preservation and long-term storage, because it has a flesh that is denser than that of earlier varieties. Among the most popular hybrids are the following:
Czech variety, which is grown throughout Russia. Differs in high drought resistance and resistance to strelkovaniyu. It forms large stebleplods, the mass of which can reach 1.5-2 kg, with tender and juicy pulp. This hybrid is suitable for long-term storage and canning.
A variety with high frost resistance and suitable for cultivation in regions with cold climates. Stalk growers weighing up to 600 g, they have a light yellow skin and juicy flesh with a mild taste.
It is also a popular variety of kohlrabi, which is resistant to the stiffening of the trees and tolerates cooling. Gives large stebleplody weighing 3-5 kg, which can and be used fresh, and canned or stored in winter.
How to choose the right variety for cultivation
When choosing a kohlrabi variety, it is important to be guided by the objectives of cultivation and the climatic features of a particular region. So, wanting to enjoy fresh cabbage salads as quickly as possible, you should prefer early hybrids. When planning to prepare kohlrabi for the winter or to cook from it conservation, it is better to choose mid-season and late varieties.
Also it is necessary to take into account the size of stelplodov that form these or other types of cabbage. For example, too large "heads" can be inconvenient for fresh consumption or creating blanks for the winter. More details about the species of kohlrabi and their names can be in the photo on the Internet.
Kohlrabi cabbage description
Kohlrabi is one of the many varieties of cabbage, the genus is included in the Cruciferous family. Her close relatives are radish, radish and rutabaga. Like any cabbage, it is a plant with a two-year development cycle. During the first season, a thick stem grows in it, and next summer the culture forms a peduncle and produces seeds in fruit-pods. But most gardeners do not wait for this moment, eating stebled.
Homeland Kohlrabi - Sicily. It cultivated a long time ago, during the heyday of the Roman Empire. Then this vegetable was almost the main part of the diet of the poor and slaves. Современное название имеет немецкое происхождение и в переводе означает «стеблевая репа».
Кольраби предпочитает умеренный климат, сильную жару не любит. Поэтому она подходит для выращивания на большей части территории России. При этом корневая система у неё намного более развита, чем у иных разновидностей капусты, кольраби меньше страдает от засухи, не требует частых поливов. Стеблеплод формируется всего за 8–10 недель, поэтому можно собирать два урожая в год, если первый раз высадить её рассадой.
It is impossible to confuse kohlrabi with other varieties of cabbage.
Kohlrabi leaves a little, they are quite narrow, with long petioles. The leaf plate shape is ellipsoid or triangular with rounded corners.
The diameter of the stebleplod reaches 12–18 cm. But many gardeners prefer to harvest when it grows to 6–10 cm. In this case, the flesh is much softer, juicier and more tender. The fruit has the shape of an almost regular ball, egg or turnip. Its average weight is 200–300 g, but there are also varieties for which cabbages weighing more than 2 kg are the norm.
Stebleplod is painted in salad, purple or ink-purple color (depending on the variety). The flesh is greenish-white. To taste it is almost impossible to distinguish from the stalk of the usual white cabbage. But kohlrabi is much juicier and sweeter, without a bitter bitter aftertaste.
Kohlrabi flesh is greenish-white, very juicy, without bitterness
Kohlrabi is deservedly called the "northern lemon" or "vitamin bomb." The content of vitamin C is much higher than other types of cabbage and citrus. You can also note the presence of vitamins A, B, D, E, F, P, PP, potassium, calcium (about the same as in cottage cheese and milk), phosphorus, iron, zinc, iodine, selenium, cobalt, organic acids, fiber. and fructose.
The content of nutrients in the leaves of kohlrabi is higher than in the stembled itself.
This cabbage is recommended to be eaten fresh. Kohlrabi is great with any fresh vegetables and is well suited for making salads. It is also stewed, fried, boiled, baked, but during heat treatment, it loses a significant portion of nutrients. Fruits are low-calorie (only 48 kcal per 100 g), so they can easily vary any diet and baby food. At the same time, Kohlrabi does not provoke excessive gas formation, like other types of cabbage. It is also suitable for home canning. Most often it is marinated, sometimes cooked platter with tomatoes and cucumbers.
Fresh kohlrabi salad - a storehouse of vitamins and microelements
Nutritionists recommend that regular eating kohlrabi should drink as much pure water or any unsweetened beverages as possible. With juice you should not overdo it (the recommended daily dose is not more than 1 tbsp.).
Stebleplod very easily accumulates in itself nitrates, which can provoke the development of some serious diseases. Therefore, it is desirable to eat only personally grown kohlrabi.
Many cultivars and kohlrabi hybrids have been developed, differing in size, shape and color of stebleplod. When choosing it is necessary to take into account that the most tender and juicy flesh is in the early white-fruited varieties. Those that are characterized by purple color, are better suited for canning and long-term storage, they are distinguished by a larger size of stemblood.
Varieties of medium ripening
The kohlrabi varieties of medium ripening period are mostly heat and drought tolerant, their heads almost never crack. The most common varieties and hybrids:
- Blue Planet F1. Stem blot of salad color with a bluish-blue tint, small (weighing no more than 0.25 kg). The shape is slightly flattened. The flesh is tender, but rather dense. Due to this, the crop is kept well,
- Karatago F1. The Czech hybrid, plentifully fructifying, despite of weather conditions, the crop ripens in large quantities. The average weight of stebleplod is 0.3–0.4 kg. Heads do not burst and do not "lumber." The variety is suitable for long-term storage,
- Delicacy white. Stebleplod weighing about 0.5 kg, slightly flattened. Tastes excellent. The flesh is very juicy, does not "lumber"
- Violetta. The variety is very common in Russia. Stem-blot of rich purple color, from a distance it seems almost black, with a thick gray-blue tint. The average weight is about 2 kg, diameter is 10–12 cm. The shape resembles a turnip. Tastes excellent. Purpose - universal. Shelf life - up to 1.5–2 months,
- Madonna. Stemblodes oblate, lilac color with greenish-blue tint. Appointment - universal, taste excellent. Average weight - 1–1.5 kg,
- Purple Haze. The shape of stebleplody resemble a turnip. The average weight is 1.5–2 kg. The grade differs in quite good keeping ability, drought and heat resistance,
- Gulliver. Stebleplods are almost round, weighing up to 1.5 kg, pale green, sometimes with a yellowish subtone. Leaves nikuschuyu. Sheet plate grayish-green. The variety is recommended to use fresh.
Photo Gallery: Kohlrabi late varieties
Kohlrabi is distinguished by relative simplicity. It successfully takes root and bears fruit even on poor soils. But, of course, obtaining a bountiful harvest and stemmers of the largest possible size in such conditions is impossible. Ideal - light, but the nutrient substrate, for example, loam.
Be sure to find out in advance the acidity of the soil. Sour kohlrabi substrate, like any cabbage, does not tolerate categorically. In such a ground, the keel almost inevitably develops. The situation can be remedied by adding slaked lime, dolomite flour, egg shells (200–400 g / m²) in preparation for the bed. To increase the fertility of the soil will help humus or rotted compost (10-15 liters per 1 m of the bed).
Dolomite flour is a soil deoxidizing agent of natural origin that has no side effects.
Kohlrabi is frost resistant. Even the seedlings just transplanted to the garden bed, which did not have time to move away from the “stress”, endure a short cooling to -2ºС, adult plants are not damaged if the temperature drops to -8ºС. But the heat and direct sunlight Kohlrabi does not like. This must be taken into account when choosing a place for garden beds.
Kohlrabi tolerates not too good heat, it negatively affects the quality of fruits.
Early varieties of kohlrabi are most often grown seedlings in order to bring the harvest time closer. Later, because the frost resistance of the crop allows, they are planted immediately by seeds in open ground, covered with plastic film or other covering material.
The seeds of early varieties of kohlrabi are planted on seedlings at the end of winter or at the very beginning of March. Harvest matures by the end of May. After about 2–3 weeks, the same varieties are sown on seedlings again, for the second “wave” of fruiting, which occurs at the end of summer. To get a harvest during the summer, early and mid-season kohlrabi are planted on seedlings and seeds in open ground in April. The optimal time for late varieties is the last decade of May or the beginning of summer.
Kohlrabi seeds can be planted on seedlings, and directly into the open ground
Seedling preparation procedure
- Seeds for 15–20 minutes are immersed in hot (45–50 ºС) water, then immediately in ice water, literally for a minute or two. Then they are soaked for 10–12 hours in a solution of any biostimulant (Appin, Zircon, potassium humate). Folk remedies will do - succinic acid, aloe juice.
- After the specified time, the seeds are washed and wrapped in a damp cloth or napkin. Then they are placed in the warmest place in the apartment. For example, you can put them in a saucer and put them on a radiator. The fabric should be constantly sprayed with a spray bottle, not allowing it to dry.
- After 2-3 days, the seeds should roll. When this happens, they are seated one by one in small plastic cups or peat pots. This allows you to do without a picking, which Kohlrab very dislikes - a significant number of seedlings die after the procedure.
- Soil: universal soil for seedlings or a mixture of peat, humus and fertile turf in approximately equal proportions.
- Seeds bury a maximum of 1-2 cm.
- The pots are covered with plastic bags to create a greenhouse effect and transferred to a dark warm place. The optimum temperature is 20–22ºС. As soon as sprouts appear, they are provided with light and sharply lower the temperature to 8ºС. After 8–10 days, it is raised again to 17–20 ° C during the day and 11–13 ° C at night. If it is warmer, the plants will stretch ugly.
- To prevent the development of “black leg”, Kohlrabi seedlings are watered only with room temperature water, alternating it with a pale pink solution of potassium permanganate. When the plants form two true leaves, they are fed with a solution of any complex fertilizer for seedlings (Rostock, Ideal).
- To prepare for planting seedlings begin in about 2 weeks, hardening it. The time spent in the open air is gradually extended from 1–2 hours to 10–12 hours. A week before disembarking, kohlrabi stop watering.
Shoots from kohlrabi seeds appear fairly quickly and amicably
Planting seedlings in the ground
Kohlrabi seedlings ready for planting in the ground a month after shoots appear. She should have 3-5 real leaves standing upright. Delay with landing is not recommended. The stem does not form at all, or it will turn out to be deformed, and the pulp will be tough, not juicy, fibrous.
Seedlings of early kohlrabi are planted as soon as the soil warms up to 8–10ºС. If you delay, the plants can go to the "arrow". Late transferred into the open ground in the second decade of July to harvest in September or in the first half of October.
Kohlrabi compares favorably with other types of cabbage in that each plant needs a very small area for food. Between them they leave about 20–25 cm, between rows - about 30 cm. For 1 m², thus, 8–10 plants get along.
- Each well 6–10 cm deep before planting the seedlings is well watered and fertilizers are applied - 8–10 g of simple superphosphate and a handful of sifted wood ash.
- All this is mixed, bushes land in the resulting "dirt" at the bottom of the hole. When landing in the ground, kohlrabi are not buried more than before. The root neck should be at about the same level, because the stemblock is formed just above it. Ideal if the seedlings were grown in peat pots. Then the plants do not need to extract from the tank.
- Then the soil is gently compacted, watered and mulched again. Peat and sawdust are not suitable for this, especially coniferous - they strongly acidify the soil.
- The best time for the procedure is the evening of a cloudy cool day. Then for 7–10 days above the plants it is advisable to build a canopy of any white covering material to protect them from direct sunlight.
Neighbors for kohlrabi
Growing kohlrabi in greenhouses and greenhouses is undesirable, especially with other crops that require frequent fertilizing, including mineral fertilizers. Kohlrabi very quickly accumulates nitrates in stebled.
When choosing a place for kohlrabi you need to take into account what grew on this bed earlier. Bad predecessors - other cruciferous plants. But it is quite possible to plant after cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, beets, carrots, onions, garlic, any spicy herbs and legumes.
Sowing seeds in the ground
Directly into the soil, kohlrabi seeds are planted in grooves 2-3 cm deep with an interval of about 30 cm between them. Furrows sprinkled with a thin layer of humus, the bed is tightened with any covering material. Shoots thin out when they form the first true leaf, carefully cutting off weaker plants with scissors. If you pull them out, you can damage the roots of neighboring seedlings.
Kohlrabi Care Tips
Kohlrabi is undemanding to care. This is due, among other things, to a short vegetative period.
During the first 15–20 days after landing in the ground, kohlrabi are watered every 2–3 days. Further, it does not need particularly frequent watering. As a rule, it lacks natural precipitation. If the street is very hot, the beds are watered once a week. Water must be heated, the best time for the procedure is evening.
Only kohlrabi seedlings recently transplanted into the soil need regular watering.
An exception is the moment when a stemplod begins to form (a plant should have 6–8 leaves). From now on, the soil needs to be constantly maintained in a slightly damp state so that the cabbages will not crack. Save time on watering will help the mulch. She will not let the bed overgrow with weeds.
After watering, the beds are deeply (6–8 cm) loosened, but only between the rows. The plants themselves do not spud. If you put earth under the ground, it will stretch.
It is very important to water the kohlrabi regularly. Sharp transitions from absolutely dry soil to a bed turned into a marsh is one of the main reasons for cracking stem plants.
Early kohlrabi are fed twice. A week after planting the soil, the leaves are sprayed with a solution of urea and potassium sulfate (10–12 g per 10 liters of water). Approximately 2 weeks before harvest - watering the infusion of fresh cow dung, bird droppings, nettle leaves or dandelion. Late varieties are fed such infusions every 15–20 days.
Harvesting and storage
Kohlrabi, intended for food, can be cleaned at any time. If stebleplody plans to be stored for a long time, choose a warm dry day. They are dug together with the roots, dried for several hours in a place with good ventilation, protected from direct sunlight. Then the earth is cleaned, the leaves are cut off. Stebleplods together with the roots are put in boxes, sprinkled with sand, sawdust, pieces of paper so that they do not touch each other. Optimal storage conditions - temperature 0–2ºС, humidity 90–95%, dark room with good ventilation. In the fridge Kohlrabi lie a maximum of 2 weeks.
Collected kohlrabi is deposited with the roots.
Culture-dangerous diseases and pests, methods of control and prevention
Kohlrabi suffers from the same diseases and pests as other types of cabbage. There are many of them, so you need to be able to identify them and know the appropriate control and prevention measures.
Of the pests for kohlrabi are dangerous:
- cabbage aphid. Pale green insects in a solid mass stick around the leaves and the stem. The stem is small and deformed, the damaged tissues change color to beige-yellow with a pinkish border. Effectively discourage aphids growing near Kohlrab sharp-smelling herbs or infusions of them. Also as a raw material you can use onions, garlic, orange peel, tobacco chips. The same measure will help get rid of the pest, if we increase the frequency of treatments from 1 time per week to 3-4 times a day. In the event of a mass invasion of aphids, Inta-Vir, Fury, Iskra-Bio, Mospilan,
- cruciferous flea. Small black bugs with a casting blue-green shell feed on plant sap. Vague yellowish spots are formed on the leaves and stem, the plant withers. Effective prevention - marigolds, calendula, tansy surrounding the bed with kohlrabi. Cotton swabs moistened with kerosene or turpentine are placed between rows. To fight the pest apply Aktar, Phosbecid, Actellik,
- cruciferous bug. Black-yellow bugs make round holes in the leaves, the larvae eat away the stemplod, gnawing the roots. The control measures are the same as with the cruciferous flea,
- cabbage mole. It removes tissue from the inside, as a result the leaves and stem are covered with “tunnels”. Regular weed control is very important. Next to the bed kohlrabi planted plants that produce natural phytoncides - coriander, tomatoes, onions, garlic. Folk remedies to combat moths - an infusion of hot pepper, tobacco crumbs. Of the chemicals used most often, Decis, Arrivo, Lightning,
- cabbage whitefish. Lime-colored caterpillars devour leaves, gradually moving from the edges to the middle. They can be assembled by hand, but it is ineffective. Folk remedies are also not particularly effective. Traps can be used against adults - jam-coated sheets of cardboard or containers filled with sugar syrup or honey diluted with water. To cope with caterpillars, Kinmiks, Fitoverm,
- cabbage scoop. Kohlrabi is particularly affected by late ripening. Caterpillars eat away stebleplods from inside, pollute pulp with excrement. Folk remedy for the prevention of the appearance of the pest - an infusion of wormwood, burdock leaves or tomato tops. Of the chemicals used Bankol, Sherpa, Iskra-M,
- cabbage fly Larvae eat roots and stebleplodes from inside. The plant stops abruptly in development, fades and dies. To prevent the appearance of cabbage flies, the soil in the garden is powdered with a mixture of tobacco dust with naphthalene, ash or camphor. To combat it, use any insecticides of general effect.
Photo gallery: look like pests dangerous to kohlrabi
Common Kohlrabi diseases:
- "blackleg". Can destroy the next harvest already at the seedling stage. The root neck becomes thinner, changes color to black-brown, rots. For the prevention of seeds before planting for 15–20 minutes, pickle in the solution Alirina-B, Agata-25K. At the first signs of the disease, the affected plants are removed from the garden, the soil is sprayed with a 1% solution of Bordeaux mixture, copper sulfate,
- kila It develops almost inevitably, if the acid-base balance of the soil is below 6.0. Ugly growths of various shapes are formed on the roots. The plant cannot eat normally, the above-ground part of it dramatically slows down in development, stebleplodes are not formed. Для профилактики семена перед высадкой обязательно нужно подержать в горячей воде. Бороться с килой практически невозможно. Садоводу остаётся только удалить с грядки пострадавшие растения и продезинфицировать почву ярко-розовым раствором перманганата калия,
- ложная мучнистая роса (пероноспориоз). На листьях снаружи появляются расплывчатые желтоватые пятна, на изнанке — сероватый или белесый налёт. Они быстро чернеют, отмирают. Способствует развитию заболевания холодная погода и высокая влажность. For the prevention of kohlrabi, every 10–12 days is powdered with sifted wood ash, pounded chalk, and colloidal sulfur. To combat the disease using Ridomil-Gold, Strobe, Phytophthora,
- alternarioz. Small black spots on the leaves gradually increase in size, turning into concentric circles. Then they are covered with a grayish bloom with black splashes. For prophylaxis, Kohlrabi is sprayed with Trichodermine 5–7 days after disembarking. In case of occurrence of characteristic symptoms, any fungicides are used - Poliram, Abiga-Pik, Bravo, Acrobat-MC,
- bacteriosis (black rot). On the leaves (mainly in the vein area), small “translucent” brownish spots appear. Then the fabric softens, becomes slippery to the touch, spreads an unpleasant putrid odor. For prevention, Glyocladin granules are introduced into the soil during planting. Important and preplant heat treatment. You can fight the fungus using any copper-containing drugs,
- fusarium Vague yellow spots appear on the leaves between the veins. Gradually, they completely turn yellow and dry. On the cut in the tissue visible blotches of brown. For prophylaxis, plants are watered every 2-3 weeks with a pale pink solution of potassium permanganate. To defeat the fungus, use Topsin-M, Horus, Benomil.
Photo gallery: symptoms typical of Kohlrabi diseases
I planted Kohlrabi varieties Korist F1 from Elcom. Very juicy, ate like an apple. But the main advantage is that it does not outgrow and does not form coarse fibers. This year I will plant it again in two stages: seedlings in spring and summer.
I love kohlrabi! There are not so many varieties, and it is really not necessary to grow it to the maximum size - hard fibers appear, it becomes less juicy. I somehow prefer the blue varieties. Kohlrabi is very useful, it has a lot of silicon. But the prices in the shops at her brutal!
I grow kohlrabi long ago. I like these "round stalks". I sow on seedlings in the first days of May. In early June - in open ground. One summer left part of the seedlings in the greenhouse, between the peppers. Apparently, by excessive dampness, by August she had cracked near the tail of the root, and the middle one was rotting. Although outwardly looked normal. And you tear off, cut the spine, and there already ... And on the street everything was fine. And then I read about the incompatibility of pepper and kohlrabi.
If kohlrabi are not collected on time, then it becomes lumbering. Eating it becomes almost impossible. Therefore, it is impossible to delay the harvest. I will recommend two good varieties: Vienna Blue and White Vienna. Give excellent yields always. The soil for growing kohlrabi must be very fertile, besides it is necessary to maintain a certain level of moisture so as not to get rough and tasteless fruits. Before planting, I usually bring in either humus or compost. Be sure to water, feed and loosen. I never expect kohlrabi to grow too big. The most delicious, in my opinion, are the fruits of only 6-8 cm in diameter. They are both soft and juicy, and tasty.
My kohlrabi is very poorly stored, except in the fridge. In the cellar peppered with sand "heads" lie for a couple of months and that's it. Therefore, I plant it very little, only for eating in the summer, in the winter, we do without it. Yes, and for my taste, it is not so great to plant it half of the garden. But for a change, I still plant it.
Kohlrabi tastes like a stalk of an ordinary white cabbage. Cooking salads with carrots and apples, with cucumber, garlic and dill. And it can also be stuffed with minced meat and baked in the oven.
There is no particular difficulty in growing kohlrabi. At the same time, you can save a lot of space - the culture requires a much smaller area than the usual white cabbage. Gourmets appreciate it for a very delicate and soft taste, adherents of a healthy lifestyle - for the record content of beneficial substances for the body and low calorie content. Breeders deduced many varieties, each gardener can choose the one that best suits him. Kohlrabi is suitable for cultivation in most parts of Russia.
Early ripening varieties and hybrids
Kohlrabi cabbage grade Pikant
Crop variety ripen in the early stages, at 70–75 days from the time of full germination. Large oval leaves of a bluish-green color with lighter veins are gathered in a half-raised rosette. Stebleplod round shape, slightly flattened, covered with cream-greenish dense skin. The flesh is juicy, tasty with a pleasant spice. Weight 0.5–0.9 kg.
Plants are not prone to cracking and tsvetushnosti, rarely woody. The yields of early ripened vegetables are on average 59 kg per 10 square meters. m
Juicy stebleplody early hybrid ready for harvesting for 60-65 days from the moment of emergence. The leaves are ovate-elongated, grayish-green with a light bluish bloom, veins expressive, dark purple. Sheet rosette semi-vertical type. A beautiful stebleplod of spherical shape, the peel of a rich purple-lilac tone. Weight ranges from 0.4 to 0.6 kg. Juicy pulp has excellent taste.
The advantages of this cabbage are the evenness of the marketable yield, simultaneous returns, high taste properties. The yield is 25–40 kg per 10 square meters. m
Kohlrabi cabbage grade Relish
Dense attractive stemmers are harvested 75–80 days from shoots. Large oval leaves of a greyish-green shade with purple veins are covered with a light bluish bloom and are assembled in a semi-vertical outlet. Stebleplods are rounded flat, with raspberry-purple skin of rich tone. Weight 0.5–0.7 kg. The taste of greenish-white juicy flesh is excellent.
Landings are unpretentious, show resistance to cracking, are not prone to defeat by mucosal bacteriosis and do not lignify for a long time. The yield is high, 46–48 kg per 10 square meters. m
Mid-season varieties and hybrids
Kohlrabi cabbage grade Madonna
The original variety was obtained by Dutch breeders and is distinguished by large fruits, the waiting time is 100–110 days. The bluish-green leaves of an oval shape are formed into a semi-vertical rosette. Stebleplods are flat-rounded, sometimes oblong, with light purple-purple peel and juicy, delicious white flesh. The average weight of 0.5–0.7 kg, under optimal conditions, can reach 1.3 kg.
The yield of a reliable grade is stable, averaging 40 kg per 10 square meters. m. Delicious juicy vegetables are more often consumed fresh or stewed.
The magnificent hybrid of the Czech selection belongs to the middle late category, the pickup dates depend on the growing region. The leaves are oval, greyish-green with rounded tips and a moderate wax coating, the shape is slightly concave. Rosette of leaves of vertical type. Stemblodes are round or slightly flattened, with a flattened tip. The skin is light green, the flesh is juicy, tasty, tender. Weight 0.2–0.3 kg.
Plants are practically not prone to lignification, tsvetushnosti and cracking fruits. The yields of one-dimensional stelplods are very good, 30–35 kg per 10 square meters. m
Eder RZ F1
The advantages of the hybrid - yield, resistance to major diseases of cabbage culture and adverse conditions. The leaves are rounded elongated, bubbly, bluish-green in color with lighter veins, form a semi-vertical outlet.
Stemblodes are greenish elliptical in shape with a flattened upper part. The flesh is whitish cream, juicy, tasty. Weight about 0.4 g. Yields of commercial cabbage are high, reaching 36 kg per 10 square meters. m. Plants rarely lignify, do not tend to crack.
Kohlrabi cabbage Kolibri F1 grade
Beautiful fruits of the Dutch popular hybrid are removed at a later date, not earlier than 130–140 days from the moment of full germination. Spectacular tasty cabbage attracts the eye and is suitable for any culinary use. The leaves are elongated, green with a moderate bluish bloom and dark purple petioles, formed into a semi-vertical outlet.
Stebleplod is medium sized, flattened oval. The skin is purple-purple, the white flesh is juicy and tasty. Weight 0.7–0.9 kg. Harvests are constant, 30–40 kg per 10 square meters. m
Kohlrabi cabbage grade Giant
Late-ripening variety of Czech selection differs leveled, very large fruits. Large broad leaves of oval shape and grayish-green color are collected in an open rosette of a semi-vertical type, which occupies an area of more than 60 cm in diameter. Leaf veins and scapes whitish-green. Stemblodes are huge, with a diameter of up to 20 cm, round, greenish, with a sunken top. The flesh is tender, juicy, tasty. Fruit weight 2.5–3 kg, but can reach 4–5 kg.
To obtain large cabbage, seedlings are transplanted according to a sparse pattern, not thicker than 50 × 60 cm. Plants tolerate heat and dry periods well. Yields are excellent - 30–35 kg per 10 square meters. m. Vegetables are deadly, suitable for long-term winter storage.
Kohlrabi cabbage Violetta variety
The stable popular variety is known for its excellent yield and belongs to the late ripening category - when sown in the ground in late April, it ripens to the beginning of autumn. The leaves are green, with a wavy edge and purple petioles, formed into a semi-vertical rosette. Stebleplodies are rounded-flat, with a purple-violet bright skin, reaching a diameter of 9 cm. The taste of sweet juicy flesh is excellent. Fruit weight 0.8–1.2 kg, maximum - up to 2 kg.
Compact plants are planted with a density of 25 × 30 cm, due to which they get excellent yields. Landings are unpretentious, tolerate cold snap, spring and autumn frosts. The yield of selected cabbage is 42-50 kg with 10 square meters. m
Video: how to choose the best variety of kohlrabi cabbage
Juicy wholesome kohlrabi cabbage is gaining in popularity. Delicious fruits with pleasure are eaten by children - not the greatest fans of vegetables. Kohlrabi can easily compete with many fruits, including apples, pears and even citrus fruits, in terms of vitamins and minerals. The plantings of this cabbage culture are quite stable, but they need constant watering during the formation of the stebleplod, without which it will not be possible to get a good harvest of tasty vegetables.
The cold resistance of kohlrabi allows early-spring planting of early-ripe hybrids and collecting valuable fruits throughout the summer, while mid-season and late-ripening varieties will provide vitamin products in the autumn-winter period.