Rabbits are beautiful fluffy animals. They are bred as their favorite pets, or for profit from slaughter meat, skins. Depending on the subspecies for one okrol rabbit can make from 1 to 12 kids. Rabbits need careful care, breast milk and weasel.
The behavior of the female after giving birth
- It is important not to let the rabbit to the males. Otherwise, she may become pregnant again.
- Also, the female should be disturbed as little as possible. Some of the rabbit because of the constant stress can begin to behave aggressively.
- You can not create extra noise. A rabbit can have a nervous breakdown.
When open eyes
Blind rabbit behavior is based only on natural instincts. The behavior and care of the rabbit is also important. The survival rate of babies is 99% dependent on the female. At the age of 10-12 days, babies begin to open eyes.
When they leave the nest
At the age of 30-33 days, increased activity is observed in baby rabbits. They start to get out of the nest box and independently explore the room in which they are located. Therefore, at this moment the box must be removed. And disinfection must be performed as often as possible. Moreover, disinfection is carried out at the most distant distances. Not only the cage is disinfected, but the room itself in which the animals are located. This helps to prevent the occurrence of infectious diseases of the young.
When they begin to eat independently
It is necessary to teach children to feed themselves from the age of two months. The transition from mother's milk to regular food should be smooth. First, milk feeding alternates with feed. Subsequently - the kids are taught to self-feed. It is important to bear in mind that milk contains all the vitamins and trace elements that animals need. Therefore, the diet should be consistent with the rate of consumed nutrients. Otherwise, animals may experience stress, which will adversely affect their physical condition.
Feeding and Hygiene Issues
Kids require a lot of care:
- The cage in which there are newborns of rabbits should be removed more often.
- It is important that the litter is always dry. Otherwise there is a risk of hypothermia.
- It is necessary to carefully monitor the temperature inside the nest. Comfortable mode for newborns is 30 ° C. If the temperature in the nest box is below 20 ° C, then rabbits are worried.
- Additional care animals do not require. All the necessary procedures are performed by the female.
- It is necessary to monitor the behavior of individuals. If curiosity and activity are reduced - this is a sign of a disease.
- It is important that fresh drinking water is always in the cage.
- All the necessary trace elements and vitamins animals receive thanks to mother's milk.
- It is important that the cage with the rabbit and newborn babies be in a quiet secluded place. Offspring can not be subjected to noise. Near the cell can not scream. This will adversely affect the health of animals.
Female's refusal from babies
Newborns fed by the female have dense rounded tummies. In hungry individuals stomachs sunken. Due to the dehydration of the body, the skin of these animals will have folds. Such babies are not active. They almost do not react to the touch of hands. If you find such offspring, you must urgently contact a veterinarian. Experienced breeders recommend dripping jam or natural honey. For a while, it will help raise blood sugar levels.
After this situation, you should check whether the female has milk. Her nipples should be swollen. Wool near the nipples should be pulled out to arrange the nest. You must click on the nipples. Milk should flow from them. If the female is fine, she is returned to the babies and allowed to calm down.
If after all the actions the rabbit again refuses to feed his offspring - the reason lies in the natural instincts. We need to start looking for circus rabbits who have mother's milk.
When to wean the rabbits from the mother
Seed offspring only after babies can feed on solid feed by themselves. If they are still addicted to milk, it is impossible to deprive babies of such a diet. Otherwise, it will affect their health. Transferring babies to another cell can be accompanied by stress. Therefore, it is necessary to gradually replant offspring and train for other conditions. Usually, young animals are deposited at the age of 35-45 days after birth.
Kids eat early in the morning from 2 to 6 in the morning. It is important to ensure that their bellies are full. If the rabbit refuses to feed them - it is necessary to put her in a cage with the babies and watch her for 5-10 minutes, she should feed the offspring. After that, you should check the kids through the day. If the situation has not changed - you need to urgently look for a dear female.
Breast Milk Substitute Recipe:
- 200 ml of whole milk is mixed with one chicken yolk.
- add a small amount of molasses and a few drops of liquid vitamins.
To feed the rabbits you need to carefully handle them. It is important not to crush and strangle them. For the procedure you will need a bottle of medication and a cotton swab. In this case, the mixture will seep through the cotton wool, reminding babies of mother nipples. They must stop sucking themselves. Rabbits themselves know the dosage of feeding. Feeding the mixture produced every 4-8 hours.
The survival rate of babies will depend on the performance of technology. The feeding process should be similar to natural feeding.
Two month feeding
At this age they eat more often and it is necessary to gradually expand the diet of animals. In summer, they are given green food in the form of chamomile and plantain. Also in the diet you can drive vegetables, sprigs of fruit trees. After feeding, you must carefully monitor the reaction of the intestine. At the first symptoms of diarrhea, breast milk must be returned to the diet.
You should not give human food to animals. They are strictly forbidden to feed bread, sweets, pasta.
The diet of grown-up rabbits should be different from the diet of adult individuals. They need to give a small amount of feed. This product may contain harmful substances and fats that adversely affect the health of young animals. It should increase the amount of green fodder, straw, vegetables.
- Straw 10-20%
- Concentrates 55-65%,
- Succulent feed 20-30%.
- Green herbs 30-40%
- Concentrates 60-70%.
How to feed
It is important to try to get the rabbit to feed the little rabbits. But if the female does not have milk or she has completely abandoned her offspring, the babies are brought to another circus female. It is important that maternal feelings appear in the step-rabbit. If there is no other rabbit, artificial feeding remains. In this case, it is necessary to treat babies with care. It is important not to overfeed them and carry out procedures for defecation. We'll have to squeeze the excrement from the intestines of babies.
Peculiarities of the content of rabbits left without rabbits
- After the feeding procedure, it is necessary to carefully wipe the face of the newborn rabbits. It is important that no food particles remain. Otherwise, they may end up in the eyes, mouth or nose of the animal. After this, the animal may suffocate. We can not allow dried wool particles remain on the wool. Therefore, after each feeding face wipe with a wet towel.
- After this, it is necessary to gently rub the genitals. It is important that babies urinate. It is also necessary to gently press on the baby's tummy. This procedure exactly repeats the actions of the mother. The bunny rabbit licks its offspring when babies eat. Thus, it pushes out the stuck excrement of their intestinal offspring. Otherwise, an obstruction will occur, which will be fatal.
Watch a video on how to massage the belly of newborn rabbits to empty your bladder.
Stages of development
Newborn rabbits are completely defenseless - there is no fluff on their body, and their eyes are closed. Being with my mother in the nest, they will go through several stages of development until they become independent. Consider them:
- First week of life. During this time, the body weight of the babies doubles, and wool appears on their body.
- At 7-8 days the babies have a hearing.
- 10-11 days after shingles is an important stage in the life of babies. At this age, the eyes of rabbits open, they become more independent.
- In the third week of life, the grown-up rabbits come out of the nest. This usually happens on the 16-20 day of life. Now they can taste the food that lies in the mother’s feeder. It was during this period that rabbits have their milk teeth changed to permanent ones.
- By 1 month the weight of rabbits increases 10 times. Some farmers at this age remove babies from their mothers. Others prefer to do this later in order to strengthen the immune system of animals.
Introduction of complementary foods is one of the important stages in the development of baby rabbits. By three weeks of age, babies will change teeth, and, although the young still suck mother's milk, they can already be offered adult food.
Attention! New products are introduced into the diet of rabbits gradually, watching the reaction of the organism.
When the rabbit is 3 weeks old, they are offered carrots in small portions. It is better to give it in a crushed form. Also, babies are given some good hay, soaked mixed feed, grass granules, germinated grain. Gradually, cubs are taught to eat the same thing that mom eats.
Weaning from the rabbit
Terms of weaning baby rabbits are different. Farmers, practicing compacted okroly, reject babies who have reached 1 month. Other livestock breeders prefer to wait a few more weeks, because jigging is produced at the age of one and a half months. Some weaned babies even later - at the age of 2 months.
The longer the babies suck their mother’s milk, the stronger their immune system will be. Experienced breeders and veterinarians warn: early weaning of rabbits from the mother is fraught with disturbances in the work of the digestive system of rabbits.
Attention! It is not recommended to set small rabbits out of the female before they receive the first vaccination.
While the rabbits are with their mother, grow and develop, the farmer needs to watch the nest - various problems may arise that will have to be solved. Emergency situations are as follows:
- the rabbit's refusal to feed the offspring,
- the babies leave the nest too early.
Such problems require human involvement. Consider further each situation separately to know how to act.
Rabbit abandoned offspring
Rabbits have a well-developed maternal instinct, but sometimes they can also be from offspring. This happens for various reasons:
Rabbits may be offspring
- Lack of experience in the care of baby rabbits. Primiparous females due to inexperience do not feed baby rabbits.
- Mastitis. With inflammation of the mammary gland, the rabbit is in pain and cannot feed the babies.
- Lack of milk. Injection of the hormone oxytocin helps stimulate the production of milk in the glands.
- Hunting. If the female has sexually hunted, she behaves aggressively. To solve the problem, you will have to mate with a rabbit. True, then the mother will not be able to feed the babies for more than 4 weeks, because then she will be naught again.
- Someone touched rabbits. If there is a strange smell on the babies, the female will not recognize them and will not feed them.
To provide the baby with mother's milk, sometimes it is necessary to forcibly apply them to the nipples several times a day. After 2-3 days, an inexperienced mother becomes accustomed to her new role and usually agrees to raise children. To stimulate milk production, it is necessary to feed the rabbit nettle, dill and other plants that increase lactation.
Important! If the mother rabbit does not feed the cubs, they may die. They urgently need to look for a nurse or feed artificially.
Rabbits out of the nest ahead of time
Normally, babies go out of the nest when they are at least 2 weeks old. By this time, they had already opened their eyes. However, an earlier exit from the queen cell is considered pathological. A farmer should figure out what is going on. The main reasons why baby rabbits leave the nest early are:
Rabbits in the nest
- They are hungry. If the female does not have enough milk and the rabbit is starving, they instinctively start looking for a nipple, spreading in different directions.
- Mom accidentally brought the baby, if he firmly dug into the nipple during feeding.
- Rabbit mastitis
Attention! The rabbit does not collect babies and does not drag them back to the mother liquor. If they spread, they can die of cold and hunger.
A farmer who has noticed that the cubs are leaving the ancestral hut should examine the nipples of the female for inflammation. If everything is fine with her, there may not be enough milk to feed the entire offspring. If the babies are hungry, their skin becomes dry and wrinkled, and the tummies are sunken.
If there are all signs of malnutrition, it is necessary to set aside the strongest kids from the mother and feed them artificially. For them, equip the nest, laying there hay and mother fluff, so that the cubs are not frozen. Feed the animals can be pipetted with cow or goat milk. Weak and small rabbits are left with the mother.