Onions - this is one of the most respected vegetables from any hostess. After all, it is an indispensable ingredient in many dishes. In addition, it is a proven product for centuries, eliminating the majority of ailments. Probably, a more affordable and effective means of improving the whole body does not exist. However, it should be remembered that, despite the fact that the onion has useful properties, and there are also contraindications to its use.
Onion bulb - rather ancient vegetable plant. The first memories of its cultivation are dated to the fifth millennium BC. e. An inscription about him was found on the Egyptian pyramid. Even then people were interested in onion bulb (useful properties and contraindications).
It is believed that his homeland is the countries of the Mediterranean and Asia. He came to us with the Romans, who brought him from campaigns. Thanks to its culinary qualities, onions quickly gained popularity and spread throughout the world.
What caused such fame? Indeed, to this day, bulb onions are of interest: the characteristics, chemical composition, properties - everything worries consumers. Amazing vegetable allows you to maintain health all year round. After all, it is characterized by the presence in the composition of an extensive list of useful substances:
- Vitamin PP. This component normalizes blood sugar and cholesterol. It perfectly strengthens the vessels.
- Vitamins of group B. Promote increase of resistance to stress, stimulation of functioning of a brain. Normalize metabolism. Able to improve the condition of the skin, nails, hair.
- Vitamin C. Thanks to him, onions enhance immunity, protects the body from colds, viral ailments.
- Vitamin E. It gives antioxidant properties to vegetables.
- Vitamin N. This is one of the most effective means to strengthen the nails and hair beauty. In addition, it improves the functioning of the nervous system.
- Cellulose. Provides the body with cleansing from toxins. Promotes the removal of excess cholesterol. Normalizes the bowels.
- Micro, macro elements. Calcium, sulfur, chlorine, phosphorus, copper, iodine, zinc, fluorine, potassium, sodium, chromium, magnesium, iron, manganese and many others. They help strengthen the tooth enamel bones. Favorably affect the work of the heart and blood vessels. Contribute to the normalization of pressure, regulate metabolism. Protect the body from anemia. Normalize the functioning of the endocrine system, the brain.
- Flavonoids. These substances prevent the occurrence of cancer cells.
Speaking of onions, useful properties and contraindications, it should be noted that the vegetable is rich in carotene, nicotinic, citric and malic acids.
The energy value
Not many people know that allows you to reduce the weight of onions. Useful properties, composition, calorie consider next.
Vegetable (100 g) contains:
- carbohydrates (8.2 g),
- vegetable proteins (1.4 g),
- very few fatty acids (0.2 g).
Caloric content of 100 g of product - 41 kcal. One medium bulb contains about 30 kcal.
In addition, onions are rich in organic acids, useful essential oils. The main sources of calories are protein and complex carbohydrates. Organic acids, oils carry the ability to break down fats, improve digestion. It is due to the low calorie and fat burning properties of the vegetable promotes weight loss.
Volatile substances - essential oils and glycosides - determine the therapeutic effect of onions. Useful properties and contraindications discussed below should be known to everyone.
Vegetable is able to kill most pathogenic microbes, such as:
- tubercle bacillus,
- influenza virus
- diphtheria stick.
Everyone knows how quickly he can clean the room from a variety of pathogenic microbes. Doctors, after examining onions, useful properties and contraindications, came to the conclusion that during epidemics it is necessary to grind a vegetable and place it in a room in order to get rid of viruses.
Not only in cooking is demanded onions. The use and contraindications to the use of vegetables from ancient times interested humanity. It is not surprising that onions are widely used in traditional medicine recipes. It allows you to effectively treat:
- respiratory diseases
- nasal congestion,
- whooping cough,
Many people want to know more about onion (calorie, healthy properties). Harm, unfortunately, it is also able to bring the body. But more about that later. Now we will touch the positive impact:
- Onions are very popular in cooking. It is the desired ingredient of almost every dish, which gives a unique, exquisite taste.
- A large amount of iron contained in vegetables protects the body from anemia. However, its content does not change even after heat treatment.
- Onions cause appetite and helps to improve the secretion of gastric juice.
- Potassium, which is a part, has a positive effect on the work of the heart and blood vessels.
- Vegetable helps cleanse the blood.
- It has a calming effect, stabilizes the nervous system, improves sleep.
- Some sources claim that eating onions is an excellent prevention of recurrent heart attacks.
- On the fight against colds this product is known to all.
- Masks from onions allow you to shine the beauty of lifeless, weakened, dull hair. In addition, they contribute to the improvement of their growth.
- Vitamins with which onions are rich, prevent vitamin deficiency and increase immunity.
- There is no doubt antibacterial properties. Onions in the human body destroys various microbes.
Not all people can eat onions. Useful properties and contraindications are not comparable. Of course, this is a very valuable vegetable, but each person has its own characteristics.
- Heart Disease. It is not recommended to abuse the vegetable in case of such pathologies.
- Liver afflictions.
- Hypertension. Onions can increase blood pressure.
- Asthma. Sometimes a vegetable can trigger an attack.
- Ulcerative diseases. Onions cause irritation of the mucous membrane.
- Metabolic disorders. People who have such a problem should not abuse the product, because it provokes the formation of gases, mucus in the body.
The above warnings apply to raw onions. Fried, boiled, stewed vegetables are completely harmless.
Another disadvantage of onion is an unpleasant smell that occurs after it is consumed. To get rid of it, if necessary, allows roasted walnut or parsley. But such methods are effective if a small amount of vegetable is eaten.
As you know, the product is used not only raw. How does thermally treated onions affect the body? Benefits and contraindications are the same or not?
Not only a raw vegetable has healing properties. Fried onions are beneficial to the body. Cooked in butter, it helps alleviate cough and relieves most of the common cold ailments. In the baked form removes excess sugar from the blood. Such an impact is confirmed by the centuries-old experience of folk healers and the scientific research of modern scientists.
For people suffering from diseases of the mucous, it is heat-treated onions that are suitable for consumption. After all, the raw product, as previously noted, causes exacerbation of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
Remember that onions, when used properly, helps in the fight against many diseases and does not bring harm to the body. Be healthy!
The main beneficial properties of onions
- phytoncide - killing mushrooms, ciliates, pathogenic sticks,
- improve digestion
- positively affecting sexual function and male power,
- cleansing the blood of toxins.
Harm of onions or contraindications
- Onions have a negative effect on heart activity. When onion juice enters the body, it irritates nerve endings, blood pressure rises, and heart rhythm increases. Do not eat onions in large quantities for people with high blood pressure.
- It is not safe for people who have problems with the gastrointestinal tract. It provokes exacerbation of pancreatitis, gastritis, cholecystitis. It can increase the acidity of gastric juice. A person begins to have a strong gas formation, heartburn, and nausea can occur.
- With the disease can provoke asthma attacks, as the onion enzymes excite the walls of the bronchi.
- It is impossible to leave aside the individual intolerance of this product. To do this, you need to independently observe your body after taking onions. You may experience discomfort in the digestive system, an allergic reaction.
- Many consider the smell remaining after eating onions to be significant harm. But it is quite simple to get rid of it with the help of a sprig of parsley or a crust of dried bread.
The benefits of onion for the body
How useful onions?
- Everyone knows the bow as the main fighter against the common cold. With catarrhal diseases and for their prevention, onions are eaten, breathing it with phytoncides. These useful enzymes secreted by onions protect our laryngeal mucosa if a virus or bacteria has got there and is able to kill them. Struggles with colds such as sore throat, flu. Thus, it performs the function of an antibiotic.
- Onions can increase blood pressure, so it is useful for people with low blood pressure. It has a tonic property, eliminates the weakness of the body.
- It is very useful in case of a spring lack of vitamins in the body. The use of onions can replace some vitamin substances.
- This product is very useful for men. Onions are able to increase the potency of men, struggling with diseases of the prostate gland.
- Onion juice is used as a diuretic, so it can be taken in diseases of the urinary system and liver. It does not cause dehydration due to the rapid absorption of all trace elements.
- It helps with intestinal infections, stops diarrhea. In addition, it has antihelminthic therapy.
- Onions contain antioxidants that can cleanse our body of toxins, cleanses and blood.
- People who often suffer from constipation, it is worth more to include in your menu dishes with onions, as it makes the intestinal walls work.
- Participates in the metabolic processes of the body, is involved in the breakdown of fat, accelerates the process of digestion. That is why it should not be excluded from the diet of women on a diet.
- Widespread in oncology, in the fight against cancer.
- Helps against headaches by blocking pain receptors.
- The presence of vitamins C and A, calcium, potassium in the onion, has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the heart and bone system. Iron increases the production of red blood cells in the blood, helps to fight anemia. Moreover, these vitamins are not lost during cooking and stewing.
This, of course, does not end the useful properties of onions for health, in many respects they determine its use in recipes of folk treatment.
Use in the treatment of onions, use in traditional medicine
- Onion gruel is used for skin diseases: dermatitis, corns, warts.
- Rubbing onion juice into the skin of the hair helps to strengthen the root system of hair, growth and eliminate dandruff.
- Promotes rapid healing of wounds, has anti-inflammatory effect.
- Excellent remedy for unwanted freckles on the face.
For inhalation of onion enzymes - phytoncides, there are no contraindications to anyone, and in stewed or boiled it is useful for everyone.
Onion juice with honey
Grind a few onions in a meat grinder or food processor, squeeze onion juice, mix in a 1: 1 ratio with natural honey.
An excellent remedy for bronchitis, strong cough for colds, fungal infections of the skin.
Just onion juice will help with bad sleep, neurasthenia, rheumatism.
This tool is applied to poorly maturing boils for the fastest resolution of the process and its breakthrough. After breaking a bow has an anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect.
Also baked onions will help ripen barley.
Apply it to small purulent wounds, abscesses, for example, with inflamed burrs on the finger.
Bow for hair
With a loss, the hair mask with a bow proved to be very effective. These masks are universal - suitable for any type of curls. For a full result, you need to spend 30-40 onion masks every other day.
In addition to combating baldness, the condition of existing dandruff will improve, existing hair will be strengthened, it will grow better, will become thicker and healthier, onion juice will contain natural keratins, which we are chasing in advertised and expensive shampoos.
You can rub just the juice in the scalp, you can mix it with liquid honey. We warm and wash off after 2 hours of power.
Sometimes onion juice is suggested to be mixed with burdock broth.
- For very dry hair, the mask can be varied by adding castor and burdock oil, egg yolk, a pair of droplets of an oil solution of vitamin A or E. This mask lasts for half an hour on the hair.
There is, of course, a minus in homemade masks with a bow for hair - the smell. The fact is that onion juice is more able to penetrate into damaged hair than into healthy ones, this is the reason that it is so difficult to wash it. BUT nothing is impossible! After the onion mask and hair washing, they must be held in herbal decoction of burdock, nettle, chamomile for at least five minutes.
Another way to get rid of the smell is to wash the hair with colorless henna, mustard mixed with a solution of natural coffee. It would be nice to add to the mixture a couple of favorite essential oil droplets. All this is applied to the hair washed after the onions, warm and hold for 15 minutes.
An easier way to add apple vinegar or lemon juice to the water for washing.
If you like information about the benefits of onions, harm, its multifaceted use in recipes of traditional medicine, then like the article, please. Or write in the comments how you use onions for the benefit of your health.
Botanical description and chemical composition of onions
The bulb onion is a grassy plant which can grow on the same place some years. Cultivated by humanity over many millennia, it is not found in the wild. Onions spread on the territory of the Russian Federation, as well as Ukraine, Belarus, USA, Japan. Homeland plants is Afghanistan.
Onion leaves are hollow, filled with juice - they are also used in cooking, like the tuber part of the vegetable. Arrows of some varieties reach a height of one and a half meters. It has the property to bloom - it produces white inflorescences in the form of an umbrella, from which a seed is later formed. Flowers are located on long stalks, collected in bracts. Pollinating plants occurs with the help of insects. The flowering of the vegetable occurs in late August - early September. The mass of thousands of seeds varies from 3.5 to 4 grams.
The onion contains many beneficial active substances:
- essential oils,
- nitrogen compounds
- B vitamins,
- vitamin C.
Flavonoids and disulfide, which predominates in the composition of the bulbs, are substances that have a detrimental effect on pathogens of a number of diseases (for example, Staphylococcus aureus, diphtheria bacilli). Arrows contain more esters than fruits. Young leaves are used in food entirely.
White varieties onions
In taste, white onions are significantly different from yellow and blue - it is not so hot, it has sweetish notes. White onion varieties can quickly lower blood sugar levels. The most popular varieties are the variety. Kaba, Snowball, Sturon, Centurion F1. Almost all of them are mid-season, resistant to hammering, as well as to diseases.
The use of onions in traditional medicine
Green onion prevents the formation of stones (gallbladder and kidneys) and is especially useful for the blood-forming organs. The high content of zinc in onion feathers improves the condition of the nail plate, hair and skin. Green onions is the prevention of prostatitis and is necessary in the diet of men over 40 years.
Onions promotes the strengthening and expansion of blood vessels, reduces blood clotting, strengthens the heart muscle. Its regular use normalizes the intestinal microflora, and also inhibits the processes of fermentation and rotting in the digestive tract.
Onions are effective against osteoporosis, conjunctivitis, menstrual disorders, ovarian dysfunction, amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea. This root crop has a beneficial effect on the organs of vision and inhibits the aging process of the body.
It is proved that the use of onions is the prevention of cancer, in particular breast cancer. The plant activates the production of tripeptide and glutathione by the body, which act as antioxidants, removing carcinogenic compounds from cells, slowing down the development of metastases.
Fresh onion juice in combination with honey, especially lime, forest or raspberry, in equal proportions is a proven remedy for colds and sore throats. Take 1 teaspoon (5 ml) 4 times a day. The same tool helps with atherosclerosis and problems with the vessels of the brain (sclerosis), the dosage of a tablespoon three times a day after meals.
Put a saucer with chopped onion near the bed of a patient with SARS. The patient will be able to breathe vapors, and the room will be cleansed of pathogenic viruses.
Baked Cough Onions
This tool can be used even for patients with chronic gastritis. Take a bottle of wine, fill it with chopped onion, close the cork lid, spread it with dough and bake in the oven until a ruddy crust is formed. Then turn off the fire, and leave the bottle to cool in the oven. Remove the dough and use the prepared medicine for bronchitis in a dosage of 2 tbsp. spoon after eating 4 times a day. Children's dose - a teaspoon.
Onion husks also have useful properties. Infusion of it helps with cramps in the legs. On a glass of boiling water take a teaspoon of crushed raw materials, insist 10 minutes, strain and drink at night.
The healing properties of onions, its high efficiency in the treatment of diseases that are not similar in nature, are explained by the presence of a large number of phytoncides in it.
Phytoncides of onions have a strong antimicrobial, antiviral, antifungal and preservative action. Their activity is maintained during long-term storage of onion turnips and during temperature exposure. Onion phytoncides retard and inhibit the growth of pathogenic microbes in the treatment of influenza, sore throats, catarrh of the upper respiratory tract.
They also prevent the development of putrefactive processes in the intestine, prevent oral cavity disease, improve the growth and development of body tissues, contribute to their recovery. They act destructively even on dysenteric, diphtheria and tubercle bacilli. Phytoncides are found in all parts of the plant, but especially there are a lot of them in the area of the bulb ends.
Distinguishes onions from other vegetables and a large concentration of essential oils in it. It is they who make the inexperienced hostess who chop the onions for salad bitterly cry.
To avoid this, it is necessary to clean and shred the onions after cooling it a little in the refrigerator or under cold water. In a hot room, the evaporation of essential oils increases dramatically, and tears flow in your river.
And in order to eliminate bad breath after eating onions, you need to chew 2-3 coffee beans, a few parsley leaves, eat an apple or a burnt bread crust.
In folk medicine for the treatment of hypertension is used infusion of onion, garlic and lemon. To make it, you need to chop 1 onion, 4–5 cloves of garlic and 1 lemon without peel and seeds, mix with 1 cup of sugar and 2 cups of cold boiled water. Blend the mixture in a dark cool room for 10 days, periodically shaking it, strain. Take 1 tablespoon 3 times a day 15–20 minutes before meals until recovery.
The wide range of action has tincture of onions in wine. For its preparation, 150 g of finely grated onion and 100 g of honey should be poured with one liter of red grape wine, drawn for two weeks, occasionally shaking, and filtered. This tincture improves immunity, protects against infections, is a good diuretic. In addition, it is very tasty. Apply it daily in 2-3 tablespoons in the morning and evening.
People who do not eat onions increase blood clotting. Onions protect against thrombosis better than aspirin.
Apply diabetes onion. To do this, 2–3 shredded onions pour 2 cups of warm water, insist 8 hours, strain. Take an infusion of 0.5 cups 3 times a day before meals.
With liver disease 0.5 kg of minced onion should be mixed with 1 cup of sugar and cook in the oven until the mixture turns yellow. Take it on 1 tablespoon on an empty stomach for 8-10 weeks.
With hepatitis good help wine tincture of onion and wormwood. For its preparation, you need to rub 300 g of onion through a sieve, add 2 tbsp. spoons of wormwood powder, 100 g of honey. Then pour this mixture of 0.7 l of dry white wine and insist in a dark place for 3 weeks. Take 0.25 cup 3 times a day 30 minutes before meals.
For constipation it is necessary to fill a two-thirds bottle with chopped onions, pour vodka and insist in a dark place for 10 days. Take 1 teaspoon 3 times a day before meals.
Bow apply as diuretic and antiscorbutic agent, and onion juice can affect the renal sand. However, you should know that the use of diuretic properties of onions for edema, heart disease and liver is possible only after a conversation with your doctor.
With prostate and dropsy in folk medicine, medicinal infusion is used, prepared from 200 grams of chopped onion and 0.5 liters of white dry wine. The mixture must be insisted for 12 days, strain and take 2 tablespoons 3 times a day after meals. Treatment consists of several 3-week courses with a break between them for 10 days.
For the treatment of prostatitis a mixture of equal portions of coriander fruits, plantain seeds, onions, parsley and carrots is also used. To prepare the infusion, you need 1 tablespoon of powdered mixture pour 1 cup boiling water, insist on a water bath for 30 minutes, drain. Take 0.5 cups in the morning 30 minutes before meals. In the evening, take 1 glass, lying in a heated bed warmer.
To cure mastitis use Baked onion gruel must be mixed with honey in a 2: 1 ratio and applied 3 times a day until it is completely cured.
Onion helps to get rid of worms (worms). To do this, grind 1 medium bulb, pour 1 cup boiling water and insist. Take an infusion of 0.5 cups per day for 5-6 days. It can be done differently. Onions are eaten on an empty stomach with herring, and after 30 minutes they take a saline laxative.
Onions boiled in table vinegar, used as a compress callus remover. But you can do it differently. Onion scales put in a jar and pour vinegar. The jar should be tightly closed and left at room temperature, then remove the husk from the jar, dry slightly and put a thin layer on the corn. The surrounding skin should be greased with vaseline and tied at night. In the morning, steam your foot in hot water and gently scrape off the corn. If the corn is large, then the procedure must be repeated several times.
Bow with bruises. Fresh juice or grated onion gruel is an excellent remedy, especially for knee bruises. In the treatment of abscesses in traditional medicine also use onions baked in dough or cooked in milk.
Onions from the fungus. In case of fungal infections of the skin of the feet of the healers, the affected area is smeared with onion juice and allowed to dry. This procedure should be done daily until the disappearance of signs of the disease.
Gruel of green onion feathers helps with calluses, cracked heels. To do this, they are ground into a slurry, applied to the sore spots and bandaged.
BUT tensile joints finely chopped onion should be mixed with sugar, grind the mixture well in a mortar. Put a gauze on the joint, on top of which you smear a layer of the prepared mixture.
Bow against boils and wounds. Onion gruel, wrapped in gauze, is applied to burns, purulent wounds, abscesses on the skin, to sore spots with rheumatism, because it prevents the formation of blisters, relieves pain and stops the inflammatory process.
Helps onions and with insect bites. To do this, cotton wool moistened with onion juice should be applied to the affected place for 10–15 minutes or smeared with the bite site, repeating this as it dries 3-4 times in a row. And in the absence of juice, you can do even easier - well rub a sore spot with a piece of onion.
With a strong headache, a bulb cut in half is applied to the temples and forehead.
Traditional medicine offers many ways to influence toothache with a bow. The most common of these is to moisten a toothbrush or a washed finger with onion juice and gently rub the gums in the area of the painful tooth. The procedure is repeated several times a day.
Those who like to drink, we must remember that if you eat onions after drinking vodka, then it weakens its effect. And if you eat onions 10-15 minutes before the “drink”, then this greatly increases your “opportunities”.
Bow is contraindicated in the following diseases:
- peptic ulcer and duodenal ulcer,
- acute diseases of the kidneys, liver, intestines, gall bladder.
For therapeutic purposes, onions should be used under the supervision of a physician.
Onions in cosmetology
But the bow is not only a wonderful natural "doctor", it is also a great cosmetic. Avicenna also offered a recipe that allows improve complexion - a mixture in equal shares of gruel of onion, cabbage, black radish, dill and garlic. Apply this mass on a clean face for 20-25 minutes and rinse with cool boiled water.
To remove facial wrinkles It is necessary to take in equal parts onion juice, honey, white lily juice and white wax. Stir all this in pottery, heat over low heat until all constituents are dissolved, stirring with a wooden spoon and cool. Apply externally as a mask on the face, putting it on the skin for 1 hour and then washing it off with warm water and soap. The procedure must be repeated within a month.
With dry skin Mix 1 teaspoon of onion juice and cucumber, add 1 cup of cold boiled water and cleanse your face with this “lotion”.
To remove freckles, you need 1 teaspoon of calendula flowers pour 0.5 cups boiling water, insist in a warm place for 40 minutes, drain. Add 1 teaspoon of onion juice and wipe your face 3-4 times a day.
To remove oily dandruff Onion juice is mixed in equal parts with vodka and rubbed into the scalp 2-3 times a week. At the same time, hair becomes silky and shiny. Blond hair when rinsing in onion peel broth becomes golden.
With strong hair loss onion juice is rubbed into the scalp 2-3 times a week. For the same purpose, water extract of onion peel (1:20) is washed or rubbed with a cotton swab into the scalp 2 times a week to treat dry seborrhea, accompanied by dandruff, hair loss and poor hair growth. The course of treatment is 10 procedures.